Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] ps3 overheating help?

Sponsored Links
    anyone know how to fix this? i switch ps3 on the fan spins loud after about 20 seconds of turning on it can get to ps3 menu then says system is to hot and then switches off i changed thermal paste but still same ? 80 gig console.
    Best Answer - Posted by TheShroomster:

not sure on the warmer since i've never used one, but 700-800 degrees F is about what you need to reflow there are plenty of vids on youtube that can show you how to flux the board if you don't know how already (really easy). Just take your time with it and make sure you let it cool completely before handling it. Let me know how it works out and while I was in there i would do the cpu and gpu at the same time.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Leave off for a little while to cool down , get your hoover and remove all dust from the vents , usually overheats when the dust etc builds up.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    there's no dust in it i cleaned it all before putting thermal paste, it did have ylod before this now it just does this.

Worth checking if fan connected up ok and I'n the right positing when you rebuilt Ll wires etc ?

think its the ps3 heat sensors were ever they are.

How did you fix the YLOD? Was this the first one you have done? What kind of thermal paste and how thick did you apply it? There are a lot of variables the PS3 is a very complex machine, you could have easily damaged other components with your heat gun, your thermal paste can be too thick (dosent transfer heat well thick). One more thing what level is the fan jumping up to after 20 seconds? maxed out it sounds like the PS3 may fly away.

And another thing i forgot to add is in reality the PS3 overheating in 20 seconds cant be accurate, You know how hot the air coming out of the system can be, when you turn it on before it shuts itself down feel the air i bet it isnt even close to how it feels after 6 hours of Black OPS.
    Last edited by TheShroomster; 07-03-2011 at 12:26 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Check the screws for the heatsink, also bend the little plates that apply the pressure. There should already be a bend in them just bend them a little bit more.

I'm still leaning towards a bigger issue. No way should the PS3 overheat in 20 seconds, i have run a PC without fan or heatsink longer than that testing things and yes it gets hot but hot enough to shut down, no way.

yeah but if the heatsink isn't connected properly it's exactly what a PS3 will do, as I've tried it to rule things out before. And I highly doubt you've managed to run a PC for more than about 1 minute with no heatsink attached to the CPU without damaging it.

it was in the minute ball park (long enough to boot win xp and see if it was crashing).

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News