Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ph4rcyd3 View Post
    Did you try to get into Recovery Mode?
    How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation 3.
    2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
    3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
    4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
    5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
    6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

From this menu, try to restore the OFW version you were using.

hi, i had trouble updating because of of a faulty blue-ray board - so tried removing ps3 battery with no joy, then tried updating without harddrive in.

long story short i'm stuck with a ps3 that wont boot, only into service mode, options 2-3 don't seem to fix anything just reboot and nothing. options 3-4 - say cannot access disc, but the disc seems fine - so i think its corrupt. firmware updates wont work 5.50 ofw and kwmea cant go past 0% because i think it can't put it on the harddrive no more.

is there way out of this? if i had a harddrive from similar ps3 with same fw, then swap to get it reconised as a ps3 hdd that may need reformatting by the ps3?

Take the drive out and format it using a computer then put it back in, boot to recovery mode and restore the ORIGINAL 3.55 firmware.

There's a very high likelihood that your PS3 is not down gradable (Being a fairly recent slim console) so you're going to have to use CFW for any jail breaking needs.

You will lose anything on the hard drive doing this, but it should boot up afterward.

Intead of it picking up there's an update on the usb stick pretty quickly, it seems to take around 20 mins of "checking please wait". then usb stick flashes like mad and then fails, there's no transfering to harddrive, no progress percentage just an error message.

What's the error message?

Using recovery mode WILL take a while to grab the update data. Last one I did took 30+ minutes to get back to normal mode.

Is this after a format of the drive? If you don't have any free SATA ports (in a computer) you can use a laptop (should one be available) just take out the HDD that's in it, put the PS3 drive in and boot with any boot media (i.e. a windows CD) go through setup to the point of formatting then remove it.

There's a host of tools that will boot and format the hard drive for you - this is just a handy one a lot of people will have.

I think you may have trouble installing any firmware if you don't have a working BD controller board. As I understand it, the FW install process checks for this and will fail if it cannot communicate with the BD drive. I would format the internal HD and try again, but without a working BD drive, you may be stuck.

got a replacement blue ray board late today, i can swap the chips around to fix the update loop tomorrow. just need to get the damm hard drive reconised again so the ps3 tries to update, i'm gonna try some different format options and keep trying.

fixed hdd, stuck in update loop, chip swap didn't work - must have random blu-ray board in my ps3, nice one ebay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12