Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] PS3 Media Server and FTP help?

Sponsored Links
    I am going to buy a new wifi router to use the Media Server and FTP on my PS3. I have never used both of the services so please treat me as newbie at it.I have a few queries and need some help before buying it.

If I am wrong then please correct me and please answer all questions individually so that there is no confusion

1) PS3 MEDIA SERVER

I know that PS3 media server lets you stream music,videos,etc off your computer HDD via the router,you have this can be done without jailbreak on 3.50 firmware too.

What will i need for this? I think PS3, PC, ROUTER should be all

2) PS3 FTP

i know this will help me transfer files to PS3 HDD but it is only possible on jailbroken consoles

what will i need for this? I think PS3, PC, ROUTER, JAILBREAK will be all

Also suggest me what should be the specifications of that router?

And whichever models are the best out there?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    1.A> A PS3, router and pc. just connect your pc and ps3 via ethernet to the router and run the application

2.A> Yes must be JB in order to run any custom homebrew apps on the ps3, or to the connect to the ps3 still needs to be JB.

You need a device to JB your ps3, check out our forums for reviews and choose one that suits you.

Sponsored Links

Exclamation

Sponsored Links
    A router might not be even required! (unless you want to connect to the Internet)

A 4 port gigabit Ethernet switch should do the work.

if you are going to stream 1080P with subtitles etc, i would reccomend you to hook up both pc and the ps3 to a gigabit ethernet, as to enjoy full quality streaming need a lot of bandwidth (1gig recommended from my personal experience) with wifi you will have a great loss of quality on HD movies.

but in the end its up to you to decide wether cables or quality its possible to stream HD wifi but as i said you will have quite big loss of quality due to the small transfer speed

GL

thanks, unfortunately my router and PS3 are too far so wifi will be the only option. i am trying to use media server but music doesn't play,it just goes into music playing mode bu.t doesn't play. i have to copy music files and hd files are stopping in btw but my old PC could also be the problem of that

also many times i get DLNA error 2006,7531

any help on all this?

not enough bandwidth on your lan for HD not the PC's problem and using wireless you're probably getting too many dropped packets resulting in the DLNA Error.

i wasn't even trying HD, i just tried a standard 6mb mp3 file.

doesn't play, i copied it from media server to ps3 and it didn't copy fully first serveral times even though it said sopy completed then it did and i was able to play the full song.

i was able to play a 1080p movie though it was getting stuck and then going on.

i have a netgear n-150 router but i don't thing there should be a problem with it as ps3 doesn't support higher speed wifi.

ok then don't listen, you must have that magic new wifi that doesn't drop packets, keep trying..

Quote Originally Posted by darthsnake View Post
    i wasn't even trying HD, i just tried a standard 6mb mp3 file.

doesn't play, i copied it from media server to ps3 and it didn't copy fully first serveral times even though it said sopy completed then it did and i was able to play the full song.

i was able to play a 1080p movie though it was getting stuck and then going on.

i have a netgear n-150 router but i don't thing there should be a problem with it as ps3 doesn't support higher speed wifi.
    I would suggest giving your Pc and Ps3 fixed ip addresses and then forwarding ports on your router, this should solve your dlna errors. As others have said using wireless is not ideal, but once you have a stable connection between your pc and ps3, just copy anything you want to the ps3's hdd. A full 1080p movie takes between 30mins to an hour, to transfer wireless, but copying is the best way unless you have gigabit ethernet.
    Last edited by Natepig; 12-08-2010 at 06:09 AM Reason: Typo

Lightbulb

If your ps3 and pc is near to each other why don't you try to connect them both directly using ethernet cable (crossover if you have old pc) without using the router. This config works when im transferring files using FTP. Media server... i haven't test it yet.

For the media server issue, try using windows media player and see whether the problem still persist. If yes then try asking in the media server forum.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News