[Answered] PS3 HDD and Firmware help?

I am just starting out and am trying to upgrade my HDD in my CECHH 40Gb PS3 with OFW 3.66.

The physical preparation is ok and does not present a problem.

However when I put the new HDD in the system states that it requires FW 3.66 or above. I assume that along with the backup I have made to an external HDD, I also have to have a FW 3.66 (PS3UPDAT.PUP) on the HDD in a folder named UPDATE.

I am in Australia and so far I have only been able to find a US 3.66 OFW.

Finally, my question is, does anyone know if I can use this US FW to reinstall/transfer my backup?

Thanks

Firmwares are region free. So yes, install it. Be sure of your source, obiouvsly. Why don't you just update to 4.0 using an internet connection?

I would eventually (if possible) downgrade and JB my ps3, it's hard enough with 3.66 won't 4.0 be next to impossible?

if you will ever be able to downgrade from 3.66 without a flasher you will be able to do so from 4.00 also i'd say.. where in aus are you from mate. i'm from brissy myself. and barthomy is spot on as id just download the 3.66 fw from here and install it as U.S one is fine for us here, i've used them myself.. or just upgrade to 4.00 if you need to for a new game you own or you want psn...

good luck man.

If you're in doubt of where to get it legit you can get both US, EU here, but as Bartholomy said, they are regionfree: http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...ices-improved/