Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Confused [Answered] PS3 GPU Cover fix YLOD problem help?

Sponsored Links
    I have a YLOD problem when i disassembled PS3 i saw that the heat plate from GPU come off (actually it stuck to the heat sinks). I did a little research on the net and found this video on youtube. With fix it with thermal paste and did the re-flow but i still get the YLOD and the Heat plate doesn't stick on the board it still comes off.

I don't know maybe thats why it shows YLOD. Do i need a thermal adhesive to fix the heatplate to the gpu like Arctic Silver Alumina.

Please advise, thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

GPU RSX without heatplate.jpg  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Did you reflow the CPU chip? If not then I would try that. The ps3 will ylod of death if there is a problem with many things not just the CPU and gpu. It could be any chip that helps boot it. What model so we could you more thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hi.. i have the same problem with a PS3 i purchased off ebay. It would boot for a few minutes before and then get the video freezing problem.

So i took it apart (have reflowed 5 so far with good luck) but this is the first time a gpu thermal cap has come off with the heat sink. I read that there is a thermal paste that hardens like glue that you use on the four corner chips and regular thermal compound on the middle chip.

Has anyone else experienced this and confirm how to fix. I wondered if i could use Loctite super glue on outer chips and arctic silver on center chip.

well having also done this spunout's info is correct but i wouldnt use any glue that wasnt designed for thermal conductivity (a fire inside your ps3 would look cool for about 5 seconds if you used superglue then you would die from toxic fumes). you should get thermal adhesive and thats what you should use on the 4 memory chips and use some good thermal paste for the gpu chip (arctic silver 5 gets a good rep). also the chips (all 5) should be cleaned with isopropyl acohol.

for spunout if you use liquid flux and heat each chip for 30-35 seconds each (different lengths of time required depending on your heatgun and the temps it produces) then it should be fine as thats more than enough to reflow the solder. also the plate while loose does not need to be glued on but it would be very tricky to hold it in place while you clamp it all together but if you did manage to clamp it without the plate sliding it would be fine. this is because the thermal paste will harden and act like a glue once heated which is why on some machines the plate is coming right off the top of the chip.

now djus you need to get thermal adhesive and good quality thermal paste then reattach the plate to the gpu and let it set with a small weight on the plate. once it has set then you should get liquid flux then follow the tutorial by gilksy on reflowing.

also racer0018's comments are very true - the ylod is a generic failure and can indicate the failing of any part of the system so if the reflow doesnt work at all its probably some other part at fault.

well having also done this spunout's info is correct but i wouldnt use any glue that wasnt designed for thermal conductivity (a fire inside your ps3 would look cool for about 5 seconds if you used superglue then you would die from toxic fumes). you should get thermal adhesive and thats what you should use on the 4 memory chips and use some good thermal paste for the gpu chip (arctic silver 5 gets a good rep). also the chips (all 5) should be cleaned with isopropyl acohol.

for spunout if you use liquid flux and heat each chip for 30-35 seconds each (different lengths of time required depending on your heatgun and the temps it produces) then it should be fine as thats more than enough to reflow the solder. also the plate while loose does not need to be glued on but it would be very tricky to hold it in place while you clamp it all together but if you did manage to clamp it without the plate sliding it would be fine. this is because the thermal paste will harden and act like a glue once heated which is why on some machines the plate is coming right off the top of the chip.

now djus you need to get thermal adhesive and good quality thermal paste then reattach the plate to the gpu and let it set with a small weight on the plate. once it has set then you should get liquid flux then follow the tutorial by gilksy on reflowing.

also racer0018's comments are very true - the ylod is a generic failure and can indicate the failing of any part of the system so if the reflow doesnt work at all its probably some other part at fault.

i should also mention that the video posted is not exactly a typical method of fixing a ps3 but it can work however if you use a thermal paste that can conduct electricity then thats a bomb waiting to go off imho. (look at the state of his chips). i dont want to put the video creators work down as he has helped some people but its not fully the correct way, its just a possible alternative.
    Last edited by Anger007; 05-16-2012 at 11:25 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hello thank you for answers, my ps3 model is cechl04 with 80 GB and 2 USB slots when it boots its just green then comes yellow and then red blinking light and it beeps. I got ps3 from german ebay when i disassembled it the gpu heatplate just came off i cleaned the old thermal paste and i reflowed (look at the picture) it using the no clean FLUX which i got also from ebay. I followed scoeas1982 tutorial on youtube he suggested:

45 sec on low on back (cool off 15-20 min), 45 sec on low on front (cool off 15-20 min), 30 sec on High on back (cool off), 30 sec on front (cool off), then once on low(45 sec) and once on high (30 sek) on front.

I tried with copper shims (on cpu and gpu) and removing hard drive or unplugging the blu-ray drive, and 4 penny trick - i used copper shim not 4 pennies (but that is useful if you have graphical glitches, but my system is completely YLOD dead).

I was thinking of trying to use a thermal adhesive like Arctic Silver Alumina but i don't know if that will fix the problem. Until now i used HY650 thermal grease. from my research the most use Artic Silver 5 which most sey it is the best there is (well the seller saying that HY650 is even better than Artic silver 5)

HY650 has :
    Thermal Conductivity - >3.80 W/m-K
    Thermal Impedance - <0.087 ℃-in2/W)

I am running out of ideas what to do, thanks for any replies.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

reflow motherboard.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News