Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 Fan Mod questions help?

Sponsored Links
    I'm using the Iris Manager Fan Mod, since I'm playing with PS2 games and I think Payload mode isn't compatible with them I'm using the "By User" setting.

I set it to "64", like this my temps are usually CPU: 65-66C, RSX: 57-59C

Do you think this is safe enough? My room temps are ~28-29C.

If I set it to more than "64" I think it's kinda loud, and I don't want to tire out the fan unnecessarily either, for me 59-64 seems the best. 64 is still ok with it's sound.

Also, what does this numbers exactly mean? Is 64, 64% Fan speed?
    Best Answer - Posted by niwakun:

I dont know if PS3 use RPM to check fan speeds but it only sends DPM message how many volts of power that fan will use to speed up its fan. And these DPM sent to fan is based on temperature that read by PS3 thermal sensor on CPU.

0x60 is nowhere 50% of fanspeed

the range is from 00-FF (safe speed is 0x50 anything lower than that may cause overheating)

0x60 is probably somewhere 30%
    0x85- 50% fan speed

the only thing that sony limits the fan speed is to decrease to annoyance of players for their noisy PS3.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The temperature is getting hotter is it?

Try keeping your ps3 at least 3 feet away from things like a wall or desk on all 4 sides of the playstation. This helps the sysyem ventilate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forum Runner.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Mine after playing a game or video playback. Normally about CPU 70c RSX 70c. That without fan control utility.

When i put speed at 6D-72. Temp stay about 60C. So your temp is safe.

Yes its sound like mini turbo jet. But that's okay. That's what fan really does. Even my PC fan could get to 3000RPM when it's converting vid.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Is there anything else to consider, which is important to protect against the YLOD?

Or if my CPU & RSX temps are safe, that means I'm safe?

YLOD mostly casued overheating. But HDD, or "age" could be caused that also.

i think 80C- is safe

the more air the exhaust in the system the better. Though you'll be dealing with noises so yeah you choose, avoid ylod or avoid noise.

Well, my concern isn't the noise, rather the fan dying

If the fan dies I suspect the PS3 will get hot very fast, and if you don't notice it's very easy to get a YLOD within a few minutes, so I'd like to find the optimal value, which is still not bad for the fan, and the PS3 is cool enough!

By the way, Slim PS3s are also around 60C, aren't they? So shouldn't that be a safe temp already?

you must be taking breaks

Fan will only broke if you leave your PS3 24/7 on (seriously as I said before, even with a stock fans in PC doesnt get broke after 5-6 years of nonstop use, also they also tend to break if you place your PS3 where humidity is high like near in kitchen where the nasty deposits may harm the fan bearings. Its a brushless fan and the spec of the fan is technically fit for speed up to 12volts which is equal value for FF.

Also PS3 wont turn on without fans rotating, it works just like what other modern pc right now, if the processor's fan doesnt spin, the BIOS will tell that there's something wrong with the CPU fan and it will be shutdown in few seconds. Same with PS3, though this time it will beeps with 2 and shutdown, not 3. Sony isnt that idiot that they forgot to put something that simple protection about fan not working error.

Is it possible to know the RPM of the PS3 Fan? What does exactly the numbers mean that Iris Manager represents? Like 0x60, etc.

Also, is it better for the fan if it always works at a constant speed? Or is Payload mode, where it changes it's speed sometimes just as good, is there no difference for the fan lifetime?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News