Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 Fan Air Flow?

Sponsored Links
    I have a question about the air flow through the heat transfer fins. Do the fans blow the air through only the bottom one or both of them. I know that there are two fans in the ps3 but when mine is running the air flow is only going through the bottom and not the centered air outlet. Does this mean one of the fans arent working?

If anyone can answer this it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The ps3 only has one fan... Most systems have a 15 fin fan... However you can upgrade to a 19 fin fan which is going to be more efficient, it will move more air @ a lower rpm. Originally $ony was going to use 19 fin fan but during production they opted for the 15 fin fan hence running into the ylod problem.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Oh really there is only one fan why did i think there was two. OK good now i'm not so worried. I guess its been a while since ive cleaned it. Should get on that. Are there any tips for cleaning the inside of a ps3?

I blasted it with a can of "air" and whole bunch of dust came out. That was a bad sign. I should really clean it more often. Does the air jet do a good enough job or should I manually clean it?
    Last edited by milkman750; 03-15-2010 at 01:54 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lightbulb

I've just sticked the vacuum cleaner to the PS3's vent, and turned it on, it sucked the dust away!
    Last edited by Tidusnake666; 03-15-2010 at 03:32 PM Reason: typo

Lightbulb Fan Test

do a fan test by removing the power cord and putting it back with the eject button pressed down for a couple of seconds , you should hear a vroommm!! this is called a fan test , its gets all the dust out from the inside , and to be really clean use a vacum if you like , when it stops whining disconect the power cord and put it back on again then your good to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pika420247 View Post
    do a fan test by removing the power cord and putting it back with the eject button pressed down for a couple of seconds , you should hear a vroommm!! this is called a fan test , its gets all the dust out from the inside , and to be really clean use a vacum if you like , when it stops whining disconect the power cord and put it back on again then your good to go!!
    the fan/vacuum test is not good for your ps3. there are even official posts from sony saying to not do it. the best way to get all the dust out of your ps3 is to take it apart completely and "manually" remove all of the dust. if your ps3 is still under warranty, then just use a low powered vacuum (household vacuum not a shop vac) and use the hose attachment to "suck" on the vents.

My friend milkman750 first of all HI!!! and second do no i repeat do not make the fan test cause this will make the ps3 to overheat from a lot of use, its only to test if your fan is working and do not stick the vacuum cleaner from the back of ur ps3, many users who did this the vacuum sucked small chips from the ps3 motherboard and the ps3 has gone.

if you want i suggested to u to open the ps3 for one last time and clean it and make it like new and then see my guide on guide forum on how U will keep the DUST out of ur ps3 system follow the guide and u will be happy after 4-5 months of use like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frago View Post
    My friend milkman750 first of all HI!!! and second do no i repeat do not make the fan test cause this will make the ps3 to overheat from a lot of use, its only to test if your fan is working and do not stick the vacuum cleaner from the back of ur ps3, many users who did this the vacuum sucked small chips from the ps3 motherboard and the ps3 has gone.

if you want i suggested to u to open the ps3 for one last time and clean it and make it like new and then see my guide on guide forum on how U will keep the DUST out of ur ps3 system follow the guide and u will be happy after 4-5 months of use like me.
    Yeah I've read about the fan test and all the warnings that go along with it. Also thanks for the heads up about the potential headache the vacuum could cause.

I've read your guide on how to keep the dust out. Nicely done. I like that it is simple and, the best part, cheap. Will have to try that.

Do you suggest any cleaning fluid (eg. Endust for electronics) or does a anti static cloth work just fine?

Wink

No i prefer the simple anti-static cloth will work great!!

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News