Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ps3 to fail ?!

[Answered] Ps3 to fail ?!

what's with all the ps3 bashin lately I think it looks great and everyone is saying it won't sell at all. I know the price is high, but do you really think it won't sell at all, I also heard alot of people said the same thing about ps2 when it came out, but I dunno. I'm also hearing that the graphics on ps3 and 360 are no different, what's rumor and what's true?

patient my patient.. time will tell.. i behind ps3 all the way..X box was release after ps2 but look at the life span.. no one is buyin xbox now but look there still people buyin ps2 now.. why ? i would rather pay more for a set that last like ps2, 5 year and going.. i sold my x box to fund for psp n saving up for ps3 now

At this point its nothing but rumor, because we only have half the hardware in question right now.

I would already make the bold statement that the 360 and the PS3 will be the same on a non HD TV, they will both probably be too graphically superior to notice any difference on an old low res tv. Now when you bring HD into the picture I dont know, its anyones guess.

And the PS3 price point is high, but just the fact of the Blu-Ray player will be a big selling point. Remember now, the 360 is getting an HD-DVD addon USB drive (rumored to cost 200$ and launch when the PS3 does)... that means the 360 is whatever you already invested into it (400$ in most cases) + another 200$ for the HD-DVD drive. I dont know what they intend to do with HD-DVD though, release games on it or use it for a movie playing drive???

But that puts the 360 preimum + supposed 200$ HD-DVD unit right on par with the 599$ 60GB version PS3.

The 360 HDDVD drive is only for movies. M$ has said they will not be making use of it in games. Graphically, the 360 and PS3 will probably be around the same for at least the first year. Games that appear on both systems are being developed for the 360 right now and will be ported and the PS3 is very hard to code for and make use of all its power. I don't think games will be made that harness its power for at least two years, if ever.

As for the PS3 dying, I don't know, it could go either way. Its way too much money for kids and (poor) college students and I think thats a majority of the gaming population. On top of that, like WOWchamp said, the difference won't be apparent on a standard def television, and that includes Blu-Ray movies too. While including a blu-ray drive is nice, people won't even contemplate buying an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray standalone until they get an HDTV which is an enormous cost in itself plus the overinflated price of movies. I don't doubt that the PS3 will be a great system, and it seems to already have some very good 3rd party support, but I think the cost of entry might be too high for it to do well. As M$ said, people will probably buy both a 360 and a Wii before they buy a single PS3.

Being as poor as I am (and jobless this summer to boot), and with a crappy 12 year old 23'' TV, the only next gen system I might get is a wii, and im the biggest gamer ive ever seen....
    Last edited by Kraken; 05-14-2006 at 01:20 PM

What most people are forgetting is that:

1. Barely anyone owns a HDTV.

2. No one but relatively hardcore followers know or even care about Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, or what they are capable of (kind of hard to justify the massive price from a Blu-Ray drive alone).

3. Dreamcast came out a year before PS2 did and died within 2 years (Am I alluding to the XB360 comming out a year before PS3?).

Sony did two dumb things at e3 this year:

1. Two SKUs. Really. WTF. Not only that, but the nerfed $500 ($500!!!) one will NOT have a mem card slot (I'm ignoring the HDMI because as I mentioned, anyone who gets the nerfed version will likely not know what HDTV stands for). I guess you can forget about transfering saves... ever. At least MS gave 360 core system owners a way to upgrade to premium...

2. With the exception of MGS4 and FFXIII, did Sony really show anything worth shelling out $600 for (remember, it will be sold in a forced bundle, so the price will be around $1100)? When Ken Kutaragi said that the PS3 was probably too cheap I nearly blew soda out of my nose. Yes, Ken, it has Blu-Ray. Yay. Just because you put NORAD comparable specs in your system doesn't mean you should have (if it means a price that high).

Of course, I thought PSP was WAYYY to overpriced, but everyone seems to own one anyway. Sony's system will sell. A lot. Now if only I could get my hands on some Super Smash Bros. Brawl...

@Boba

Forgive me for being stupid, but unless its so obvious that its stupid I dont know what an SKU is. What do you mean 1100$ package??? My only things about the cheaper one is how ICT will affect it and what exactly the HDD will be used for... if its just for saves and downloadable content then 20GB should be fine. Of course looking forward to the future, it may pay to have a 60GB... but then again whats 60GB compared to the 25GB single layer blu-ray disk. I wonder if all the controllers will be wireless, or if you will get wired ones with the cheaper unit like the 360 did. And I agree, PSP is way to overpriced, I wouldnt pay more then 150$ for one.

@Kraken

I know how it is, and now that MGS4 wont be for alteast 4 months after the PS3 launch I question shelling out $700+ myself. It would be no question if I hadnt built this 2000$ gaming rig, but I should have about 800$ to play with around PS3 launchday. I just dont know if its worth freezeing my arse off for hours on end hopeing to be able to get one. And if I do, what games will I really enjoy. I hope FF12 is PS3 and not PS2, because if not then my interest on takeing a risk on a first version hardware of teh PS3 isnt worth it.

For anyone who didnt see it, I thought this was funny.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3145154
    Last edited by WOWchamp; 05-14-2006 at 02:51 PM

also if you ahve xbox live after 2 years of that it evens out to 500... plus the hd dvd add on is 200, so I think theyre priced pretty evenly... also people payed over 2000 dollars for the xbox 360, won't they do the same for this system? I just can't get why people are saying this will fail.

@WOW: Definition of a SKU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_Keeping_Unit

It essentially means that Sony is offering two different versions of the same thing, which is exactly what MS did with the XB360. Selling two different versions of a console is a horrible, horrible idea...

My question for you: What is a ICT?

Edit: I think he means "Image Contstraint Token". That brings up an excellent point for both PS3 $500 version and the XB360 HD-DVD add-on: Do you force ICT movies to comply due to a design decision or do you create a loop-hole to make everyone happy? I can't wait for someone to answer those questions...

More news http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513133719562032&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002. Apparently the nerfed $500 will also NOT allow for wireless controllers and will NOT allow you to upgrade your 20GB HDD for one of a larger size. WTF Sony! Why did you even bother???

Another thing to add is that there is no universal nextgen DVD format yet. It it like Beta vs VHS. Sure $ony has BlueRay, but will it be the universal nextgen DVD format? What if HD is the universal, then what to do w/ a BlueRay on a PS3? Just my 2cents

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast