Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] ps3 ext3 file system?

Sponsored Links
    i have a external hdd and hate the fact that it has to be formatted as fat32 mainly because of the 4gb filesize limit. if i were to format it to a ext3, could the ps3 reconize it?
    Best Answer - Posted by ArtVandelae:

I'm pretty sure the PS3 GameOS only recognizes FAT32. The only way you could use an ext3 formatted drive is by installing Linux.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm pretty sure the PS3 GameOS only recognizes FAT32. The only way you could use an ext3 formatted drive is by installing Linux.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    FAT32 is NOT limited to 4Gb. Only FAT16. It's a Windows format utility limit. Try using another software. Theres alot of free one available out there.

Quote Originally Posted by daveribz View Post
    FAT32 is NOT limited to 4Gb. Only FAT16. It's a Windows format utility limit. Try using another software. Theres alot of free one available out there.
    you are totally wrong. FAT32 has a filesize limit of 4GB. To clear it up for you: A single file larger than 4GB can't be stored native on a FAT32 formatted filesystem. period.

Simply do the math:

2^32 (FAT32) / 1024^3 (GB)

That's the max file size you get on fat 32

r3perīs in the correct, itīs the maximum file size and ps3 only recognize fat32 filesystem.

Only way I've found to get around the limit is to stream the 4+ gig video (eg. PS3 Media Server) and save onto the internal HD.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News