Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] PS3 Data Recovery - Retrieve Family Photos from YLOD

Sponsored Links
    hi, i have a hard drive with family photos i want to extract. i know the ps3 hdd is encrypted, but is there any place i can pay to get these files back?

from what i read so far someone made a tool called the ps3 hdd studio, but it seems to have stopped development.

i live in nyc and need this fixed asap. i already reflowed and it still doesnt work. still ylod.

i'm willing to pay $200 just for some data extraction or just show me how to do it. would be great if ur in the nyc area.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Find an online stroe which offers you a BGA Rework (aka Reballing) service.
    After that your PS3 is up and running again my friend

And it's way less then 200$ !

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Put the drive in an xp box with sata support and copy files..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShroomster View Post
    Put the drive in an xp box with sata support and copy files..
    You can't do that.. Windows cant read the partition. As for the reballing, i've also tried that, it did not work. Thats why i'm willing to pay for a HDD data recovery for the PS3.

Data recovery is expensive.. it has to be done in a clean room. can linux read the partition to recover the jpegs? jpeg is a jpeg once you can read the drive u can get the photos back.

from what i have read gnome can read the partition. correct me if i am wrong

ps3's file system is .jfs, licensed from IBM, also referred to as Journaling File System, which is readable with gnome or kde. there may be other types of linux that can read it, but those two do

a type of GNOME linux is Ubuntu and Debian, and a type of KDE linux is Kubuntu
    Last edited by TheShroomster; 08-10-2010 at 06:57 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@box1619 - Perhaps you can ask the clever guys at a $ony repair centre to help you out.

@ everone else - Could one put the drive from the YLOD machine into an external case and plug into another PS3? Would the other PS3 be able to see the data?

@TheShroomster:

Please get some knowledge first before you say something. A Journaling File System is not a name of a file system itself, think of it as a method / technique.

The PS3 partition uses the Cell FS which is basically the same as ufs2 (or actually it even is that). But that doesn't matter because this partition is encrypted and can only be accessed from within lv2 on the PS3 which is the REAL host for this drive.

That means you can plug into where ever you want, you'll get nothing useful out of it.

@box1619:

Are you sure you did a reballing ? Reballing is not the same as REFLOWING as you stated it in your first post !

But if you really did a reballing (desoldering the GPU, putting now solderballs underneath it and resoldered it onto the mobo). I don't know if theres anything you could ever do to make this PS3 run again.

Can you give us more details on the YLOD ? Have you done any fancy stuff to the NAND? Or turned it of during update or stuff like that ? Or did it realy just didn't worked anymore from one day to another?

Think again, and think again twice if you really did the reaballing and not REFLOWING !

And btw: Who puts his important family photos onto his PS3 ? I don't get it

Regards,
    iCEQB

Quote Originally Posted by iCEQB View Post
    @TheShroomster:

Please get some knowledge first before you say something. A Journaling File System is not a name of a file system itself, think of it as a method / technique.

The PS3 partition uses the Cell FS which is basically the same as ufs2 (or actually it even is that). But that doesn't matter because this partition is encrypted and can only be accessed from within lv2 on the PS3 which is the REAL host for this drive.

That means you can plug into where ever you want, you'll get nothing useful out of it.
    i just posted some info i came across on the web. that's why i said correct me if i was wrong, i personally would never store anything important on a ps3 that wasn't backed up on my pc.

Wink

Your only choice is to reball. Find a guy on Ebay or locally who can do this for you. Reballing is totally different than reflow. Desolder both CELL and RSX chips off the board, dehumanify the board and reapply leaded solder balls, then resolder to motherboard. This will work if done correctly.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News