Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Red Face [Answered] Ps3 Controller Locks up

Sponsored Links
    Hello everyone.

I have 2 controllers with my 60GB PS3 (Original 2006 Release day Ver.). I have noticed an issue with both my controllers where they Randomly Lock up while in use for a couple of sec's (4/5). As i play a lot of COD multiplayer, this is really annoying as I usually end up getting killed.

My controller tends to get stuck in a left turn and keeps on twirling me around till i unlocks. At that time no button works except the PS button.

Has anyone else seen this issue ? or has any idea what can be done to fix this. I've had this problem for over a year now. But its really become very annoying lately. I tried a new controller and noticed the issue with it too. Though that didn't twirl me. Just stuck and then 4 secs or so later unstuck.

Don't know why i didn't think of asking here before never occurred to me. DUH

Suggestions ?
    Thanks
    Best Answer - Posted by hewlett123:

Jabberosx,

I signed up this forum to reply to this post. Before update 3.15 I never experienced any lockups. Unfortunately right when I updated to 3.15 I bought a BT headset for my phone and use it consecutively with my classic Sixaxis controllers. These are the original, no rumble, Sony Authentic controllers.

Lately I have experienced the lockups on almost all of my 4 controllers. It is as you describe exactly: 4-5 seconds, usually involves holding down the directional pad. I haven't had any of the buttons remain pressed / locked.

I am extremely interested to hear if you've solved this issue. I have not been able to. When the BT is off on my phone the lockups don't *seem* to come, but it may be I didn't play long enough to re-enact them, or I wasn't playing a controller intensive game where it would matter.

PS: I'm almost 100% sure it's BT disturbance though. It may be that the older controllers don't send a strong signal or are more prone to radio disturbance. Whatever it is, it seems that when I have the BT headset on it's got a higher chance for freezing.

N

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So, how do you unlock it? If this is happening with a brand new controller too it might be a comunication issue with you PS3 to the COntrollers.

Have you tried reassigning the controlers to the console? If "NO" try it. If yes.. How about playing with the USB cable plugged in? Play for a while with the USB then unplug it and keep playing.

In the other hand.. I hope you are not that guy who i keep seeing in MW2 looking at the sky and turning endless till killed hehe

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Lol.. I probably AM that guy ...

To answer your questions:

1). I do not have to do anything to unfreeze.. It just starts working again in 4 or 5 secs.
    2). Reassigning controllers doesn't make a difference.
    3). Issue does nto happen if i use USB cable.
    4). Sometimes, the the controller actually goes offline and prompts me to connect the controller. In which case i have to hit the PS button and it starts working. But that is rare.

All in all, i think the issue is with the Bluetooth communication between the controller and the PS3.

My bluetooth headset works fine. during the time the controller craps up. So i know its not the blue tooth controller on the PS3.

I am really stumped.. not sure what is going bonkers with this thing.

Lightbulb

Are you sure there isn't a collision between the controllers and the headset?

I've heard somewhere that scenario could occur, but that should be fixed once controllers is reassigned with usb cable connected.

have you googled to see if there is any known issues for using (whatever brand of headset you're using) on the ps3?

I use the sony original, it's not very comfortable (maybe a have odd shaped ears), but it gets the job done and works perfectly.

I think the collision can be possible. But i guess that right now he have tried playing without the headset.

Try using your controllers at a friend house to see if they present the same problem but my guess is that they will work just fine.

Dont know what else can be happening aside from the Bluetooth conflict

Nopes. It's not collision as it happens even when I am not using the headsets. Also noted that a fully charged controller doesn't display the behaviour... Only when the battery is half or less.

Don't have any friends nearby with a ps3

Quote Originally Posted by jabberosx View Post
    Nopes. It's not collision as it happens even when I am not using the headsets. Also noted that a fully charged controller doesn't display the behaviour... Only when the battery is half or less.

Don't have any friends nearby with a ps3
    Thats weird! How far from the PS3 Console do you play usually?

usually I am 10 - 12 feet from the PS3. The usual living room layout..

I have had the same thing happen to two of my oldest controllers.

What's interesting to note (at least, for me) is that I have another controller that is a Dualshock controller and I haven't had it lock-up on me at all. I've also had this controller for as long as the Dualshock controllers have been out.

Are your controllers Dualshock? In other words, does it have the ability to rumble? If so, that throws my theory of the older controllers causing something to hiccup. If not, well, I suggest getting a Dualshock controller since I haven't had any lock-up issues with it yet.

Oh, and for the record, my older controllers still lock-up on me. I just don't use them for gaming -- mostly watching movies while my gaming controller recharges.

i have the same issue just now in the xmb. Controller freeze for 5 seconds, i thought my console hang up. Then all unfreeze, and i can list the menus again. Don't know why this happened.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News