[Answered] PS3 CECH-G01 won't play DVD / BR / Games help?

I've got a CECH-G01 that will not play dvd/BR/games. Blue light comes on, disc spins, then nothing. I dont know the history of this unit but suspect that BR board is not original (currently BMD-004) so I wanted to remarry to motherboard. From the research I've done online I cannot do this without downgrading my firmware (currently 4.31). Is this something that can be done without soldering? I've seen dongles for lower firmware. Any thoughts?

Is the loading wheel present on the XMB?

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-he...lp-124056.html - troubleshooting

If you need to replace logic board, then yes you will have to get downgraded to 3.55 to remarry the blu ray drive.

CECH-G01 is Nand, so will need a progskeet or teensy and/or pay someone to fix it for you.

See if it will play CDs. This will help me see what the problem is. Thanks

The ps3 will not load anything (cd/dvd/BluRay/games) The loading icon starts spinning and continues to spin without booting disc or showing up in the menu.

Ok, so I've figured out my own question so I'll post what I found out. Everyone will probably know this but maybe if some dumb smuck like me stumbles across this post it might help. I replaced the whole drive and the BR board and loaded a disc. Nothing... not even a spinning loading icon.

Therefore, if you have a spinning loading icon, the BR board must be married to the motherboard. (good news for me) I put the original BR board on the new drive and waala, fully functioning ps3! Now to figure out whats wrong with the old drive. BR laser perhaps?
    Last edited by surfdawg561; 02-27-2013 at 11:39 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost