Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 Blu-ray Questions help?

Sponsored Links
    Hello everyone, my Blu ray drive is currently working with my ps3.

Well I got a ps3 from a friend and he said the blu ray drive didn't work and he didn't know why, so I changed the blu ray drive with another drive that was working on another ps3. I remarried it to my ps3 and it still wont pull in discs. I have tried with 3 control boards (remarrying with them as well) and 2 different drives and I get the same results: the drive blinks blue to show that a disc is being inserted (when I try to put a disc in), but it does not pull in the disc.

Q's:

Does an unmarried control board still allow a drive to pull in a disc?
    Could there be something wrong with my ps3 mobo or am I doing something wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I believe I am having the same problem as the original poster here (community.us.playstation.com/t5/General-Support/ps3-disk-wont-feed-in/td-p/30815564). Post 4 has pictures of what I believe is wrong with my ps3, is there any fix to this? This has been a very tedious journey.
    Last edited by zacatrophic; 09-02-2012 at 01:37 PM
    Best Answer - Posted by windrider42:

If you really feel there is nothing wrong with either the Control board or sensor board depending upon which blu ray drive you have, then yes I would consider getting rid of it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I am not sure if this will help you or not. It is troubleshooting steps

If your PlayStation 3 is not reading discs, or is reading discs inconsistently, then follow this flow chart to fully diagnose the problems with your Blu-Ray Drive.

Step 1. Insert a disk into the PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Drive

Q1. Does the PlayStation accept the disk?
    Yes - Go to "Step 2"
    No - Go to "Q2"

Q2. Is the Blu-Ray Drive Blocked?-There is a physical barrier preventing your PS3 from drawing in disks
    Yes - Go to "SOLUTION: Gear Alignment Reset"
    No - Go to "Q3"

Q3. Does the disk eventually get drawn into the console? - You push the disk in ~3/4 of the the way, and the mechanism draws the disk into the console
    Yes - Go to "SOLUTION: Broken sensor board."
    No - Go to "SOLUTION: Faulty Control Board"

Step 2. Clean the Disk - Using a cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth, clean the disc.

Q4. Does the PlayStation read both Blu-ray disks and DVDs?
    Yes - Go to "SOLUTION: Your done!
    No, it reads one media type, but not the other - Go to "Step 5"
    No - Go to "Step 3"

Step 3. Eject the disk

Q5. Did the disk come out in the same orientation that it was inserted?
    Yes - Go to "Step 5"
    No - Go to "Step 4"

Step 4. Re-insert the disk into the PlayStation 3

Q6. Is the loading wheel present on the XMB?
    Yes - Go to "Step 5"

Step 5. Clean the Lens

Q7. Does the PlayStation read both Blu-ray disks and DVDs?
    Yes - Go to "SOLUTION: You're done!
    No, it reads one media type, but not the other - Go to "SOLUTION: Faulty Lens"
    No - Go to "Step 6"

Step 6. Eject the disk

Q8. Did the disk come out in the same orientation that it was inserted?
    Yes - Go to "SOLUTION: Faulty Lens"
    No - Go to "Step 7"

Step 7. Re-insert the disk into the PlayStation 3

Q9. Is the loading wheel present on the XMB?
    Yes - Go to "SOLUTION: Faulty Lens"

Solution: Gear Alignment Reset

Realigning the gears in the blu-ray drive is fairly simple. Depending on the type of Blu-ray drive you have, you will need to either follow this guide or this guide.

Solution: Broken Sensor Board

Only the KEM-400 optical drives have IR sensors for discerning when discs are inserted into the Blu-ray drive. If your IR Sensor is no longer working, you can attempt to replace it, however, it will in no way affect the performance of your Blu-ray drive.

Solution: Faulty Control Board

If you have judged that the Control Board is no longer functioning properly, then you will likely need to send your PlayStation to Sony. The Control Board is paired to the Motherboard and will only work with its original partner board.

Solution: You're done!

If everything is working great, then you no longer need this troubleshooting guide. Congratulations!

Solution: Faulty Lens

Being a very fragile piece of technology, it is easy for the lens to break. Both types of Blu-ray drives have a specific lens that will only work with that type of drive. Depending on which type of drive you have, follow this guide (KEM-400) or this guide (KEM-410)d to replace the laser

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thank you, but the control board is not faulty nor is anything in the blu ray drive. (confirmed working on the ps3 before). I don't even know what do do anymore

Should I just give up and get rid of the ps3?

If you really feel there is nothing wrong with either the Control board or sensor board depending upon which blu ray drive you have, then yes I would consider getting rid of it.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News