Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 Blu-ray help?

Sponsored Links
    my 40GB has a issue and i can't seem to figure out what is causing it... new laser and deck installed in drive, i can see the laser move up and down and light briefly.

it won't spin up the disk. i had a spare drive and i borrowed the stepper motor from the other and still no spin. and ideas??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hmm, is the drive getting signal that the disc is in? if there is any kinda sensor,

and check beneth the BD drive there is a flat "contact" pin, if it doesn't have proper contact it seems it can cause some strange errors check it so it hasent been bended slightly or something.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by EiKii View Post
    hmm, is the drive getting signal that the disc is in? if there is any kinda sensor,

and check beneth the BD drive there is a flat "contact" pin, if it doesn't have proper contact it seems it can cause some strange errors check it so it hasent been bended slightly or something.
    Not even close to a PS3 virgin... the cables have been switched many times. i run through the basics before asking something like this, i see that a bad laser can cause the same issues but i just bought a new (refurbished one) and before i sent i back i wanted to get some input on the situation.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i'd give the lens a quick clean and see if that helps, if the lens is dirty it doesn't know there's a disc in the drive.

So if your "cables have been switched many times" maybe you had damaged connectors. Try tu use multimeter first.

You did swap the logic board And or NAND chip right? Have you tried a DVD disk? You could have got a DOA. Do you have another system you could test it in?

definitely a duff laser, the motor not spinning is caused by a dead laser, never buy refurbs people using inferior diodes is very common, I repair ps3s and bluray drive problems are getting more common for being a firmware malfunction simply cured with the hidden menu selecting the restore files option.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalack View Post
    definitely a duff laser, the motor not spinning is caused by a dead laser, never buy refurbs people using inferior diodes is very common, I repair ps3s and bluray drive problems are getting more common for being a firmware malfunction simply cured with the hidden menu selecting the restore files option.
    Ya I have ordered lasers too and recieved DOA, I dont order from china/HK any more, just UK, lots more reliable and only slightly more expensive.

Yes that whole bluray errors being fixed by restoring files thing is a bit mad, Heard about it before, I wonder:

My friend has a fairly new ps3 (was a replacement under garuntee so only 3 months old but no garuntee left) but it slowly stopped reading all his games one by one, some days it might read one again for a few hours then stop again, in the end it only read one game, the old battlefield bad company, the first 1, wierd issue, now hes jailbroken so doesnt really care About laser but maybe restoring files would help him?

basically laser problems are like this if the laser is dead discs won't spin or read and the clock icon in the right hand corner will turn constantly until disc is ejected (laser replacement needed) or reads certain games and all dvds in this case.

if the game doesn't load the clock icon will stop turning after 20-30 seconds (laser needs cleaning), if disc is spinning and you can obviously hear it loading but doesn't actually boot (restore the files) it's option 3 on the hidden recovery menu (other options will format hard drive).

after selecting option 3 system will reboot and a message will appear saying hard drive corrupt files need restoring, then it restores restarts again and bob's your uncle games are loading again, if it doesn't work and you know laser is fine then the hard drive will need formatting or changing (last resort).

forgot to say ask your friend if his ps3 still plays bluray movie discs ok if it plays them all then that will definitely narrow it down to firmware issue, the biggest problem with Jail breaking console is the ammount of times it hangs and requires forced shutdown this is the main cause of the hard drive being corrupt, switching off at the back does serious damage to the hard drive you get away with it a few times but eventually you pay for it.

regards
    Last edited by cackalack; 11-26-2010 at 05:00 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

your friend definitely needs to clean his lens just, the lens cleaning cds dont work though the blu ray lens is slightly further from the disc so he'll have to open it up to get at it but just bog standard lens cleaning fluid and some cotton buds will sort that.

if he doesnt it'll stop reading blu rays altogether soon then shortly after dvds too, it happened to my 60gig a few months ago exactly like that.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News