[Answered] PS3 Blu-ray drive help please?

Hi guys I am new here

I bought a 40gb PS3 of a brother in Law yesterday, It had never been opened and all seals intact, However it played games sometimes, So i bought a brand new laser, the exact same one that was there before, However before installing the laser I thought I would clean the old one first to see if that would solve the problem.

Cleaned it with a cotton but and some cleaner, Put everything back together and turned it on, Now the console turns on but the blue ray drive just wont function, It will not let me insert a disk, And the blue light aint flashing, There is no disk in there. I dont know wats happened , The console works fine, I have a brand new laser just sitting here and I am just stumped

Please help?

Regards

Youtube is your friend

Ok m8 but 2 problems, My ps3 looks totally different inside than the 1s on youtube, and will replacing the laser actually solve this? My drive just isn't even sensing any disks..

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1990 View Post
    Ok m8 but 2 problems, My ps3 looks totally different inside than the 1s on youtube, and will replacing the laser actually solve this? My drive just isn't even sensing any disks..
    I'd ensure first that you didn't disconnect any drive cables - those flat flexible cables can be a pain at times, they look like there in, and they pop out when you put them back. Double check them all first, and see what happens!

Lightbulb

Or it's that little cable on the side that powers the sensor on top of the bluray drive. make sure you didnt break it or your back to square 1.

Quote Originally Posted by imtoodvs View Post
    Or it's that little cable on the side that powers the sensor on top of the bluray drive. make sure you didnt break it or your back to square 1.
    not necessarily. i broke that cable when i replaced my laser assembly (80gb motorstorm unit) and put it back together without the cable and it works fine except for one error. when ever i turn my ps3 on, you can hear the drive try to load a disc for a few seconds then it stops. i also have to push the disc in further to engage the loading mechanism, but it does still work.

the reason i do not have another cable to take it's place is that i do not have any expendable cash. if anyone has an extra two wire cable for the sensor i'd gladly accept, however without a reliable income each month i'll have to do without.

Ok I have sorted it finally, The laser was faulty and I have replaced it with a brand new one, However another problem, I have the same sort of problem, The game just does not spin inside the drive, Therefore it is not playing games.

I have a feeling it is the way my drive mechanism is setup, Are there any guides on how to alter your drive to play games? The laser is fine so surely it is the motor right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1990 View Post
    Ok I have sorted it finally, The laser was faulty and I have replaced it with a brand new one, However another problem, I have the same sort of problem, The game just does not spin inside the drive, Therefore it is not playing games.

I have a feeling it is the way my drive mechanism is setup, Are there any guides on how to alter your drive to play games? The laser is fine so surely it is the motor right?
    here is a guide to make sure that you aligned everything properly when you reassembled the blu-ray drive:

http://www.wikihow.com/Realign-Your-Ps3%27s-Blu-Ray-So-That-a-Disc-Can-Load-and-Eject

if everything is aligned properly and you know that your laser is good, then it is probably the motor or control board. when i replaced my laser, i bought the whole assembly, kem-400aaa, to make sure there wouldn't be any more problems. i could have only bought the laser it self, kes-400a, however i did not want to chance messing up the motor by turning it by hand so i bought the whole assembly. also, depending on how careful you were when disassembling the drive, static discharge could have killed something on the control board.

before you buy anything else to try and fix the problem, i would make sure that the ribbon cables are seated securely in their connectors. i remember having problems with getting one of the cables on the bottom of the control board seated fully in the connector. just take your time as the ribbon cables are delicate.

p.s. i tried searching youtube for blu-ray drive assembly videos to post, but i kept getting errors to try again later. you may want to check youtube if this post doesn't help.