[Answered] PS3 Blu-ray Drive Failing help?

Here's one for you guys. My PS3 doesn't like to read discs anymore. When I fire up the machine, it usually doesn't know there's a disc inside. I eject the disc and have to reinsert like three or more times. Sometimes it seems like I have to use a different game to get it to recognize disc, but that doesn't always work.

So I'm thinking the drive is going bad. PS3 fat, 60GB. Yeah, it's a little old. Here's a question. Is there any programs that can fake the PS3 into thinking it has a disc inside? I'm guessing not, as the disc probably provides information that multiman uses to run the game. Would be an awesome piece of software if it existed.

I guess I'll be in the market for a new drive before too long, which sucks. I've avoided opening my PS3 up to this point. Oh yeah, by the way I've wiped HD, reinstalled everything recently and the problem remains so I'm confident it's hardware.

Aight, just looking for ideas. Thanks for reading. All comments and ideas are appreciated!

Best thing for it is to replace the laser & clean the Bluray drive out while you're in there (airduster)

A new laser will set you back about 30 - depends if you're confident with taking your console apart...

If I were you I would take out the bluray altogether and clean out all the dust inside. Then either buy a cobra usb dongle which has 100% discless or wait for a free solution to arise. Spending any money on a launch 60gb is a mistake in my opinion, this way if it ylod you have not wasted money on new parts for it.

TBH if you strip the drive down and clean the lazer with cotton buds and alcohol it normally works fine on these.