Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 Blinking red light help?

Sponsored Links
    after 3 days of enjoying my jailbroken PS3 came home from work to play some RDR and when i hit the power button it beeps turns green for a second and then 3 beeps and a flashing red led. is this the same as the YLOD? it had no issues prior to this. its a 40gb phat model and i tried the fan test, that worked, then tried to enter the recovery menu and the system wont let me get that far. and ideas on what may be causing it? before i tear it down and relow it.

just before it went red light on me i was backing up FF13 to external with gaia manager and it froze up at like 99% finished and i had to turn off the switch in the back and that was the last time i saw the ps3 boot.
    Last edited by TheShroomster; 11-11-2010 at 07:13 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Best Answer - Posted by Luckluka:

Reflow it! That's a YLOD!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Was reading a little about this the other day, so this is just off the top of my head.

One thing that was said to work was to boot the system with the HDD removed power it down with the front button put hdd back in and enter the recovery menu and try the fix errors option.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    gonna try that now. i'm hoping for the best..

Well that didn't work, but it did stay green 4-5 seconds before a flash of yellow and back to blinking red.
    Last edited by TheShroomster; 11-11-2010 at 07:36 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Luckluka View Post
    Then why isn't he getting a yellow light?

i just had a guy bring me a ps3 last night that did the exact same thing. power it on, fans spins up with green light, followed by no fan spin and blinking red light. it is ylod but with no yellow light. i've done reflow work on xbox with heatgun and did the same on the ps3. had it up and running again in an hour. easy fix, no need to cover anything like with the 360.

That's what i figured it was as i have fixed a few before but they all had the actual yellow light. Tonight i tore it all down and cleaned it and tried the washer trick (heat gun is dead and wont have a new one till tomorrow.).

Scraped off what sony calls thermal paste, put on new Artic Silver paste and hoped for the best. but nothing. guess i'll wait till tomorrow and see if a reflow helps. i dont wanna send this to sony being it my JB box and its still on 3.15.

I'll never get Sony i remember a few years back when the projection tv all kept burning out the thermal fuses. All i could think was what idiot came up with the idea to mount the fuse inches from the bulb. the service manual even had a not to replace fuse and duct tape it to the opposite side. Didn't they learn anything about heat after that fiasco?
    Last edited by TheShroomster; 11-11-2010 at 08:15 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
    Then why isn't he getting a yellow light?
    Read his post, he said he got a "flash of yellow light"

Quote Originally Posted by Luckluka View Post
    Read his post, he said he got a "flash of yellow light"
    Where? I don't see that anywhere in his post.

Reflowing the system is just a temporary fix. It will eventually YLOD all over again because of the crappy soldering used wouldn't it? My first ps3 YLOD on the third day i had it and no fix existed yet so I just exchanged it for another one and never had a problem since.

You could buy a new one and switch out the new one with the ylod one and return it and get your money back for the new one while still having a new ps3. Use to do that all the time but now stores check the thing to see if its the same one that was in the package.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News