Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] PS3 3.15 to 3.55 cfw yellow dog linux help?

Sponsored Links
    Hi all,

I got a few questions. My PS3 is 80Gb running 3.15 ofw and I have a small partition with 10Gb running Yellow Dog Linux 6.2

a) I would like to try out the 3.55cfw.. but if I update to 3.55ofw, my linux partition will be inaccessible because Sony has removed this feature from 3.21 or higher, correct?

b) If I update to 3.55cfw kmeaw from 3.55ofw later, will the linux partition be accessible later? Is there a "Install Other OS" option available for 3.55 cfw kmeaw?

c) I would like to get a bigger HD (maybe 500GB~750GB)..what's the proper way to do this? Update to 3.55cfw kmeaw first.. or get a drive first, install it while I'm still in 3.15 ofw?

Thank you.
    Jne
    Last edited by jnefan; 11-03-2012 at 04:20 PM

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Look here for REBUG_3.55.3_REX_PS3UPDAT.PUP

http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-cfw-mfw/r...owngrader-out/

hope that helps

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Here's how things work jnefan

A) You would need to remove your partition on your HDD and update to 3.55, yes you are right Sony has removed this feature from 3.21 and onwards, however we have got it back through CFW 3.55

B) No you will not be able to access your partition later simply because the PS3 will not read it, best you backup and format and upgrade your firmware before hand that is before upgrading to 3.55 OFW

C) I'm not a 100% sure on the last simply because i don't want you to go the wrong route and end up messing up what you have back up your stuff on 3.15 and upgrade still not sure on this though.

You will have the ability to gain Linux back with a bit more variety and look up OtherOS you will get to install linux on your 3.55 console.

Hope this was somewhat helpful to you sorry if i was not as clear or if you didn't get what you were looking for.

Side note, upgrade to 3.55 via USB and not via internet because you will be installing OFW 4.30 and that is a no go, for OtherOs or CFW.
    Last edited by TitanTX; 11-03-2012 at 04:53 PM

Titan,

Thank you for response.. As long I can get linux partition back by re-installing AFTER final upgrade to 3.55 CFW Kmeaw later, I think I'm ok.

The only thing I am not sure if I should wait to get my bigger HD first or not.. and if 3.55 CFW supports formatting IF the hard drive is removed?

Do you know know if PS3 stores its firmware in some kind of memory other than the hard drive? If I remove the harddrive and put in a new one (empty), does 3.55 CFW Kmeaw still exist and reside in PS3 memory somewhere that it can allow me to access the FORMAT function to format the new hard drive?

You know, removing and upgrading Hard Drive part is easy to do but and reloading the firmware is pretty tricky.. and I am aware if I get the order wrong, I can brick the PS3 and can never go back.

I have to proceed carefully here..
    Last edited by jnefan; 11-04-2012 at 11:38 AM

Banned User
    i believ bothe rebug 3.55v3 rex and 4.25v1rex rebug cfws are compatible with other os, i suggest reading the article as it will have more details about how to keep your existing linux partition.

the following statement was taken from the main rebug article.

OtherOS++ is supported by all REBUG REX EDITIONS and will detect your existing OtherOS HDD partition.
    Last edited by G Sus; 11-04-2012 at 12:47 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News