Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Confused [Answered] PS2Classics flattening DVD9 to DVD5 & Extracting .cvm help?

Sponsored Links
    Hi Folks, I've been searching the internet high and low for a solution to this problem and tried my luck, maybe someone around here is able to help.

For those who didn't know: The PS2 had some Dual-Layer-Games, which are incompatible to the PS2 Emulator on the PS3. One prominent example would be Xenosaga, another Yakuza 2.

However, there is a way to play these games by "flattening" them. This means extracting the DVD9 and rebuilding it as a DVD5 or rather as something DVD5-ish.

First, you have to disable the Dual Layer-Check, which is quite simple, as there are Programs designed for that purpose. You are also quite easily able to extract both layers to hard drive. In case of Xenosaga this is all you need to rebuild and play it on the PS3 and it works quite fine.

But there are other, very few games, which give you a lot more to handle.

I'm working on Sakura Wars - So long, my love, or Sakura Taisen 5, whatever you prefer. But figuring out some method or having a good tutorial on this matter would benefit converting games like Yakuza 2 or Naruto Shippuden 4, as well.

Disabling the DL-Check works perfectly fine. Extracting too, but not really. And this is where my problems start.

The layers contain encrypted .cvm - files, which have to be unpacked in order to properly rebuild the game for PS2CLASSICS. Mostly, .cvm can be handled by a wide array of Programs, since they are indeed very similar to the .iso-format. However, if they are encrypted, you gonna have a baaaad time.

However, there is some way to "crack" the encryption, but it has to do with quite some Hexcode editing and this has been my arch nemesis for quite a long time. It's just beyond my perception.

Theoretically, it should work like that:

• Load your .iso in PCSX2 (PS2-emulator) and then create a save state, which is pretty much a RAM dump.
    • Add a .gz suffix to your created save state and unpack it with any program capable of handling .gz files. WinRar and 7-Zip for Windows-ussers, or TheUnarchiever and Keka for MacOSX-users will do the trick just fine.
    • Open the now extracted eeMemory.bin with a hex editor. The file contains the Table of Contents (TOC) needed for decrypting the .cvm.
    • Multiply found hex values of the TOC by 0x800 and add 0x1800 to find the exact TOC-location of the .cvm
    • Paste the TOC-data into your .cvm.
    • Unpack the .cvm
    • Profit!

Sounds easy, right? Well it isn't. At least not for me. I was able to open the eeMemory.bin (which was hard enough, since I'm on a Mac and PCSX2 has some issues running) and I was able to retrieve some file names, but I have no idea whatsoever, where the TOC is supposed to be or what the TOC has to look like. And as stated before, I have no knowledge about hex-editing, let alone calculating.

Will somebody help me, to solve this mystery for the greater good of the scene and knowledge? Maybe we can build a profound and comprehensive tutorial for PS2 to PS3 porting...

Thanks in advance,
    antih3r0
    Best Answer - Posted by windrider42:

Most PS2 Dual Layer games each had their own specific Kit to shrink the game to either one DVD or Two.

To know exactly how the TOC order should be , you need Original game and open it with ISObuster v2, then find Folder Tree and File information. Then you can use that txt file to drag files in order when rebuilding

I have some of the kits, plus if I know which one you need, possibly could provide. As for just removing dummy files on a PS2 game less than 4GB, you could do that with even just Nero or use Gnie's Xpert 2 tool.

Ok I do understand what you want... But its not all .cvm files. Some are .big files, .Dat files etc. These files can be seen using Apache. Otherwise they are hidden

That is why kits were made by people who knew how. So what I did is make my Dual Layer games into Single DVD or Two DVD

Then I make a PS2 classic and load it. TOC is Table of Contents - size etc. LBA is more important when rebuilding. It shows the exact order needed when rebuilding the game.

Also knowing how to hex edit is useful as well when dealing with PS2 games. Personally your best bet is using the kits available to rebuild to One DVD or Two, then make your Classic or load ISO image.

So if you don't answer here as well, then we will consider it answered.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Most PS2 Dual Layer games each had their own specific Kit to shrink the game to either one DVD or Two.

To know exactly how the TOC order should be , you need Original game and open it with ISObuster v2, then find Folder Tree and File information. Then you can use that txt file to drag files in order when rebuilding

I have some of the kits, plus if I know which one you need, possibly could provide. As for just removing dummy files on a PS2 game less than 4GB, you could do that with even just Nero or use Gnie's Xpert 2 tool.

Ok I do understand what you want... But its not all .cvm files. Some are .big files, .Dat files etc. These files can be seen using Apache. Otherwise they are hidden

That is why kits were made by people who knew how. So what I did is make my Dual Layer games into Single DVD or Two DVD

Then I make a PS2 classic and load it. TOC is Table of Contents - size etc. LBA is more important when rebuilding. It shows the exact order needed when rebuilding the game.

Also knowing how to hex edit is useful as well when dealing with PS2 games. Personally your best bet is using the kits available to rebuild to One DVD or Two, then make your Classic or load ISO image.

So if you don't answer here as well, then we will consider it answered.
    Last edited by windrider42; 01-19-2014 at 12:07 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Alright, thanks again for your answer.

I'm dealing with a game which consists solely (!) out of .cvm-Files (which is actually pretty common) and there is no Ripkit to be found. The game is the US-Version of Sakura Taisen V, also known as Sakura Wars - So long, my love.

And I know there are .big files and .dat files. But there are programs for it who can handle with them, since they are more common than for example .cvm.

Apache can't extract the .cvm. Well it can extract the .cvm from the layers but not the .cvm itself. IsoBuster, MagicIso and Xpert also won't extract the .cvm, because it is ENCRYPTED.

There is no way to decrypt and unpack the .cvm, except for the method I discussed here. People over at XenTax did it and provided patch files for the .cvm, but they wan't money for signing up there and I surely won't pay for Sony's screwups to be fixed. This isn't my perception of scene. A scene should be a ressource for people to help each other and work together to do great stuff. So no, this is not an option, regardless if it's "only" five bucks.

But the people there proved that the method is working and this is worth something after all.

So, what to do? Can I post my RAM dump and you'll have a look at it? Maybe you're able to figure something out...

I will send you link to a guy who says he made a ripkit. He is admin of a site I belong to.

On the other site you replied the link worked for you and you got the game going. So I am thinking we can call this closed.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News