Essentially the file is for the consoles with BC so that a PS2 game can install data on the PS3 HDD
North American Releases with HDD Support
- Final Fantasy XI is the only North American game truly dependent on the HDD as it requires various patches and upgrades from Square Enix.
- SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs supports additional maps, downloadable via the in game "Socom Store" used to be $5.99 until the third pack was released late March 2008; now all three are free.
- SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs supports additional maps, however the files must be copied from a magazine demo disc to the hard drive and cannot be downloaded.
- SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault supports additional maps.
- Resident Evil: Outbreak (Both File #1 and File #2) installs 1 GB to the HDD for reduced loading times.
- ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NBA 2K5, ESPN College Hoops 2K5, ESPN MLB 2K5, and ESPN NHL 2K5 use the HDD to improve replays. (If the HDD is not installed, static screenshots are shown as replays. With the HDD, full cutscene-like replays can be displayed.). ESPN NHL 2K5 has the ability to save files directly to the hard drive.
- RPG Maker 3 installs 3 GB to the HDD to decrease load time.
- 2K Sports's NBA 2K6, MLB 2K6, NHL 2K6, College Hoops 2K6, and their respected updates; up to the 2K9 versions (only until 2K8 for College Hoops), also use the HDD to display recorded replays from game action. Without it, stills are shown in NBA 2K6 (during halftime and the end of the game) and no end-of-inning replays are shown in Major League Baseball 2K6.
- Metal Saga installs 1,7GB to the HDD to decrease load time and uses the HDD to save/load game instead of Memory Card
- Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, like its Japanese counterpart, can install 2 GB to the HDD to reduce loading time.
- The Urbz: Sims in the City recognizes when the HDD is installed and allows data to be saved directly to it. Also creates a 512mb "_tmp" (if not already there) Partition to cache Game Files to speed up load times.
- The Sims 2 recognizes when the HDD is installed and allows data to be saved directly to it. Also creates a 512mb "_tmp" (if not already there) Partition to cache Game Files to speed up load times.