Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Possible to transfer files to PS3 using FTP at 1Gbps?

Sponsored Links
    Hey all ... Well I was wondering if its possible to transfer stuff to the PS3's Internal HDD using blackb0x's FTP Server, at a speed of 1 Gbps when using a CAT6 ethernet cable to link the PS3 with the computer ..

I heard the PS3's hard drive may be slow at writing data locally when its coming in at 1Gbps .. I tried transferring some test files today (big enough to give me a smooth transfer average speed) but the max speed I got was like 800 kb/s .. although right now I'm using a wireless network .. If somebody can confirm to me that a 1 Gbps transfer it possible then I can get a CAT6 cable .. Thanks in advance guys !
    Best Answer - Posted by wazer:

I'm in 1gb network straight, with cat6 cables, i'm up running at 50-70mb second to the ps3 drive. Its sure alot faster than 9-12mb on 100/100 network.

using bloatblackb0x 1.1

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Get off the wireless network, my gigabit router averages 20-30mb/s you will get the same speeds using crossover if your pc settings are set to either auto negotiate or manually set to gigabit.

Sponsored Links

Wink

Sponsored Links
    You can improve FTP upload speed. But you must think about HDD writing/read speed limitation.

You can got 250-500 megabit speed, as well. But HDD can't write files faster. Think twice before you buy something

It's not hardware related. His issue is the fact that its over Wifi, if he plugs into his router gbit or not, he will obtain at least 9mb/s from a 100mbit router and 20-30mb/s from a gigabit router. These are all speeds from a stock HDD, my 7200RPM tends to run 5mb/s faster when transferring than my stock hdd did.

I guess I'll elaborate on my goal a little more, just to clear any confusion..

Right now, my PS3 and PC connect through a wireless network, and I'm getting a transfer speed (as seen in my FTP program) of about 700~800 KB/s

My question is: If I connect my PS3 and PC together *directly* (not through any router/modem) via a CAT6 crossover cable, and then try to do the same transfer, what actual transfer speeds can I expect .. ?

My PS3's HDD is a brand new 5400 RPM OEM drive which I just installed ..

Also, a similar question: When I connect my PS3 and PC together directly via this CAT6 crossover cable, will the connection be registered as 1 Gbps by default (using the 'Auto Negotiate' setting), or would have to manually set the speed in my Ethernet card's settings to connect at 1Gbps ? ... My understanding is that my Ethernet card does support 1 Gbps ..

Hope is makes my question clear (no pun intended)
    Last edited by AhmadkaX2; 10-05-2010 at 03:07 AM

You will need to set the DHCP Settings on both nics manually but yes, you will receive gbit speeds. However, it is a pain sometimes for beginners to setup a crossover connection if you have access to a router, it may be worth your time to connect it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FireSokar View Post
    You will need to set the DHCP Settings on both nics manually but yes, you will receive gbit speeds. However, it is a pain sometimes for beginners to setup a crossover connection if you have access to a router, it may be worth your time to connect it instead.
    Dont worry about the latter .. I've dealt with crossover connections many times before ... I actually just needed confirmation if higher speeds were possible through a CAT6 connection, which I think is true ..

I'm in 1gb network straight, with cat6 cables, i'm up running at 50-70mb second to the ps3 drive. Its sure alot faster than 9-12mb on 100/100 network.

using bloatblackb0x 1.1

surely you need a gigabit ethernet nic in the ps3? i always thought ps3 nic was just 10/100

the ps3 does have gbit ethernet
    i get avg 50-70MB/S on a 7200rpm int hdd, it can vary alot tho

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News