- if I turn on my PS3, within 10 minutes the system will freeze for about 2 seconds, then abruptly turn itself off with a loud beep
- The red power light will blink on and off until I tap the light again, at which point it returns to normal
- The system is extremely hot on the right side bottom (looking at it from the front) after it beeps out.
I performed a deep air-compressor clean, knocked out all the dust out of the system. Problem still persisted.
Notes regarding possible solutions:
- No, I do not want to buy a new system with 3 year warranty. This is a first gen 20GB model, I really don't want to lose the PS2 backwards compatabiltiy by purchasing a new system. They also didn't have the 3 year warranty when I bought the system (that I know of) so I'm SoL with that aspect.
- I COULD ship it into Sony to have them repair, but that'll run me $130 minimum, plus I also (again) run the high risk that they'll replace my old model with a new model - which again makes me lose the PS2 backwards compatability.
I would really prefer to either have suggestions on how I could fix/address this problem myself including: repair steps, possible 3rd party products to override the issue, etc.
Any help would be more than greatly appreciated. thanks