Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] PAL DVDs on NTSC PS3

Sponsored Links
    I have been reading these forums for over 2 years now and have always found the people here to be very knowledgable. I have a question.

I couldn't wait for the UK launch of the PS3 and imported one from HK, I realise the PS3 is region locked for BRD movies, DVDs and PS2 games but does anyone know if an NTSC PS3 has the ability to playback PAL formatted discs. Can the playback functionaility be altered by a software or is the hardware simply not capable of playing back a PAL disc full stop?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i tried a PAL disc in my NTSC machine and it simply says its not supported. as far as i know there are no options anywhere in the menus to make adjustments. at this time i havent seen anyways to play pal discs, maybe in linux?

Registered User patatdrolleke83's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i thought it hasn't a regionlock :-s Or was it Blu-Ray movie discs?

But this is what i've found:
    Are PS3 games region locked like PS2 games?
    No, all PS3 games are currently region free and Sony has stated all games will be regions free. PS1, PS2,DVD's and Blu-ray movies are all region locked.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If the disc itself is burned/region-unlocked it will work as long as your TV can display itself in the PAL format.

But has anyone tested it yet? A recent game of Japan into US PS3? Because i wanna buy my PS3 in Asia but I live in Europe. And i would buy my games in Europe( if they are released here). So I hope the new games aren't regionlocked :'(

The games are not region locked but the DVD video and Blu-ray movie playback is locked.

I have JAP version of motorstorm running on a 60gb US version PS3 and I live in the UK.

I wouldn't by a JAP PS3 though because of the censoring that goes on in some games (blood & gore etc not present). There are known workarounds but it's a bit of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by daz500 View Post
    I have JAP version of motorstorm running on a 60gb US version PS3 and I live in the UK.

I wouldn't by a JAP PS3 though because of the censoring that goes on in some games (blood & gore etc not present). There are known workarounds but it's a bit of a hastle.
    Isn't that depending on the Software itself? I don't think the PS3 would censor Blood etc. But I think it's the game itself that's censored. So the conclusion is that Blu-Ray and Games aren't Region locked? Well about the Blu-Ray movies, I know they are NOW NOT region locked, but they gonna do it in the future!

But does that depends on the Drive (hardware) or software? If it's the software, then you could bypass this via Linux DVD/Blu-Ray player program. Is this possible?:??

Quote Originally Posted by patatdrolleke83 View Post
    Isn't that depending on the Software itself? I don't think the PS3 would censor Blood etc. But I think it's the game itself that's censored. So the conclusion is that Blu-Ray and Games aren't Region locked? Well about the Blu-Ray movies, I know they are NOW NOT region locked, but they gonna do it in the future!

But does that depends on the Drive (hardware) or software? If it's the software, then you could bypass this via Linux DVD/Blu-Ray player program. Is this possible?:??
    Its all to do with the save game. I have a Jap System and RFOM (Jap) and if i start a fresh game there is no blood. If i start the game with an american save game there is blood. Dont know if this is in the firmware and if u update with a american firmware if it will get rid ??

Only time will tell.

If it depends on the savegame, than it depends on the Game, right?

So if you have a Japanese PS3 and a US game (like Resisstance for example) you would get gore on the screen.
    But a japanese version on the US PS3 would run too, but without gore.

Am I right?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News