Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb [Answered] OtherOS on Slim?

Sponsored Links
    I just recently started to tinker around with the hdd decryption etc and was going for a tweaked img for en-/decryption (moving all needed sectors to the beginning, leaving out zeroed secors etc) and then one thing poped up my mind

has anyone tried to make an hdd image with NDT's tool or what ever (I just know it under the knightsolidus method) with the other-os installed and decrypted etc and then encrypt it on a slim and use it in one? so all in all you'll get a Slim with otheros installed.

I read somewhere on the news that the slim has no otheros since they removed the hypervisor to save on production costs so that might open up possibilities and/or at least give slim owners the possibility to run *nix.

to sum up again what I mean:

1. get decrypted hdd-image from fat ps3 with otheros to start per default
    2. encrypt the hdd-image on a slim
    3. run the slim with it, see if otheros get's startet n' stuff

maybe someone with access to fat and slim could try that, I'm going to try and get an minimalistic hdd-image ready with otheros if someone want to try. I got 3.01 though since I didn't had 3.00 by hand when I was upgrading my hdd on the ps3 just recently.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    you just cant do it that way because you need the bootloader, if your are on a slim you dont have the option to install one so you are on a dead end. if you do what you said (if that works) you will only have a hdd with linux on it but you cant run it since there isnt a bootloader to "start" it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This can't be done on slim and has nothing to do with HDD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotacg View Post
    1. get decrypted hdd-image from fat ps3 with otheros to start per default
    2. encrypt the hdd-image on a slim
    3. run the slim with it, see if otheros get's startet n' stuff
    1. OtherOS was installed on nand, yes where is the gameos located, and was managed by HV. To be more specific, sony gave u 4MB from nand to store otheros, so basically there is no way to install it on slim.
    2. There is no option on gameos to launch otheros, for this you'll need to modify FW (CFW)
    Last edited by hosmy; 10-27-2009 at 01:13 PM

Well it might work if the bootloader is installed to hdd, which I think is most likely. And there are just 2 other things needed I can currently think of, first the config entry to start the bootloader instead of the gameos has to be on the hdd and second is the code that executes the bootloader if there is some if clause checking for slim and leaving out the bootloader execution then it won't work.

I'm going to check if the otheros.bld is written to disk and the config entry also and report later on.

Well it might work if the bootloader is installed to hdd, which I think is most likely.
    Is on flash
    dd if=/dev/ps3flash of=/tmp/boot.bin
    And there are just 2 other things needed I can currently think of, first the config entry to start the bootloader instead of the gameos has to be on the hdd
    No. you can start kboot for example without hdd and the flags for boot are on flash too.
    0x00000001 for otheros and 0x0000000 for gameos (not about this, may be vice versa)

I too doubt it will work.

Once the PSP Slim was released, Sony stopped supplying InfraRed drivers (no IR port). I believe 3.52 was the last to include them (Slims started at 3.60). So if the PS3 Slim comes with 2.8 (or 3.0 and up), there isn't going to be an OtherOS option.

And another thing. If we could (IF we could) decrypt the HDD devs would've gotten to the actual firmware files (which apparently are on the HDD) and made a CFW by now.

Just curious. If the slim version are having its hypervisor stripped off, how should it run anotheros on the first place even if you somehow manage to get the otheros.bin or bootloader of some sort goes in into the hdd and authenticated. The hypervisor is critical in running virtual OS. Or are you suggesting running otheros before sony OS runs and take precendent!

Question

The slim being without otheros was officially announced somewhere, quite sure it was mentioned in the news as well. And as u can see in [1] it's also stated that it's because of the hypervisor, maybe I misunderstood it but I read it as the slim doesn't have one (maybe it's just software wise).

So I came up with the idea that the slim might be more vulnerable and could be more easily tempered with from the otheros, or maybe fully utilised in power. Didn't know the bootloader was on the flash, so my idea on how to get the otheros to the slim is a fail.

[1] http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...linux-options/

Quote Originally Posted by DSpider View Post

And another thing. If we could (IF we could) decrypt the HDD devs would've gotten to the actual firmware files (which apparently are on the HDD) and made a CFW by now.
    HDD was already decrypted but the actual Firmware files are encrypted.

The only way it is going 2 get hacked, is by installing a modchip, or playing around with the hardware.

The reason why it is so hard because, the minute your PS3 boots up, it runs through 4 stages of security at all times. All 4 stages have secrets that will need to be decoded in order to reach the next stage, Sony has encrypted each hard drive to only work with a specific PS3, which eliminates the possibility of switching them out like memory sticks.

The hard drive is then read by the PS3 where it makes sure the drive is registered to the specific console. After verifying the hard drive, the PS3 continues to search for needed files to boot up the OS. This is merely the logo that appears or random files hidden in the system that will trigger the “OK” to boot up.

The hard drive is built in layers with the “bootflag.dat” being the first file read on each start up, which then leads into the DRM file and finally … the game files. Several files found in between each of these makes things even more complicated to bypass.
    Last edited by mohp; 10-29-2009 at 06:56 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News