[Answered] OtherOS can gain access to the GameOS partition?

As you can see, I'm fairly new to PS3news as a member, but I've been reading posts on here for awhile now.

I found a PS3 with firmware version 3.15 for sale and spoke to the seller about buying the system. I won't know for sure until Monday but just had a question about the OtherOS functionality.

How limited is the OtherOS partition? Just to give you an idea of what I'm hoping to achieve is;

I'm an aspiring game designer and I love being able to have access to modify the game's code and see what results I can get and how far I can push it. Doing things like having more enemies spawn like normal, until the game begins to suffer slow down, etc.

I understand that most scripts like that are usually stored on the disc for console versions, but if the game has a mandatory install, maybe i can experiment with those and see what happens.

Basically, in short, I'm asking if the OtherOS partition can gain access to the GameOS partition? If so, what would I have to do to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by RyGuy88 View Post
    As you can see, I'm fairly new to PS3news as a member, but I've been reading posts on here for awhile now.

I found a PS3 with firmware version 3.15 for sale and spoke to the seller about buying the system. I won't know for sure until Monday but just had a question about the OtherOS functionality.

How limited is the OtherOS partition? Just to give you an idea of what I'm hoping to achieve is;

I'm an aspiring game designer and I love being able to have access to modify the game's code and see what results I can get and how far I can push it. Doing things like having more enemies spawn like normal, until the game begins to suffer slow down, etc.

I understand that most scripts like that are usually stored on the disc for console versions, but if the game has a mandatory install, maybe i can experiment with those and see what happens.

Basically, in short, I'm asking if the OtherOS partition can gain access to the GameOS partition? If so, what would I have to do to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Well, strictly speaking about hard disk areas - yes, it would be possible if you were to dump, reverse, and patch certain hypervisor calls (to allow you to actually access these areas) then possibly patch the kernel to use these new areas. However, only a handful of people have actually done it, and they are not sharing exactly how!