Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Unhappy [UnAnswered] No luck transferring files >4gb

Sponsored Links
    I have tried Red Kawa, DLNA, TVersity but still no luck in transferring a 5GB mkv or m2ts file. All methods succeed in streaming avi files and I am also able to copy the split m2ts file from an ext HDD, but I was hoping to be able to watch the movie from 1 file instead of having it stopped midway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    have you tried transferring using tversity over a wired connection? This is the way I do it and it works all the time.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did everything using a wired connection. Everything shows up in the ps3 media server except that mkv/m2ts file. I'm not sure if its the size or the format thats not working with TVersity.

Can you perhaps share the steps you took?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tubbies View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did everything using a wired connection. Everything shows up in the ps3 media server except that mkv/m2ts file. I'm not sure if its the size or the format thats not working with TVersity.

Can you perhaps share the steps you took?

Thanks
    mkv's show up with tversity but it is a pain getting them to play because you will have to transcode on your computer and then stream to your ps3, for me this is undesirable because my computer is not powerful enough to process even 720p movies let alone the really high definition content. It is however possible to play m2ts movies on the ps3. all you need to do is renamte the .m2ts to .m2t and then refresh your tversity library and the m2ts file will show up on your ps3, just copy and play as usual.

MKV files can be played by converting them to VOBs. There's no need to transcode them at all and VOBs are definitely picked up by TVersity as that's what I use. Search for MKV2VOB in the PS3 News Search box near the top and you'll find what you need.

Remember to refresh your TVersity library and you can copy from TVersity to your PS3 library by using the Triangle button on your PS3 controller.
    Last edited by Transient; 09-01-2008 at 05:09 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you havent tried already, use vilvic media centre. It transfers files from the PC to PS3 which are 4Gb+.

with a direct transfer, you canīt because playstation 3 uses a Fat32 filesystem (a modified one) and this filesystem has a 4gb limit.

source: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ne...ony-92825.html

Thank you all for the replies.

@ junkmail
    my mkv oddly doesnt show up on tversity, but if any transcoding is required, I would rather look for another approach
    I am already playing my m2ts files on the PS3, but i'm looking for ways to have the files >4GB because having the movie stop midway aint that pleasant

@ Transient
    I'm now actually a bit confused on whats the diff between converting and transcoding... I'll google for it but if possible, I would just like to dump the >4gb m2ts file directly on my ps3

@ DarkArchon
    I'll definitely have a look at this Vilvic Media Centre... hope it transfers the m2ts directly to the PS3

@ Zeborg
    thats odd.... i recently read that the PS3 have its own Sony format that no one has been able to access
    also from this thread http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-gu...ve-100239.html

he stated: "Also, I couldn’t just buy an external USB hard drive because when formatted to FAT32 (the required format), there is a 4GB file size limit, and as most of you know, most HD films exceed this size!"

I was under the assumption that he went into all that trouble just so he can have many of those 4+GB files on the PS3
    I did asked him about this but havent received any reply for over a week... i figure my questions must be too newbie-ish hence I tried asking around in this sub forum instead.

update:
    Thank you very much for the Vilvic Media Centre suggestion, DarkArchon
    I was able to transfer a 5GB m2ts file into the PS3
    It seems the PS3 HDD is able to store >4GB files after all.
    Thank you all for the help .
    Last edited by tubbies; 09-06-2008 at 01:28 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by tubbies View Post
    @ junkmail
    my mkv oddly doesnt show up on tversity, but if any transcoding is required, I would rather look for another approach
    I am already playing my m2ts files on the PS3, but i'm looking for ways to have the files >4GB because having the movie stop midway aint that pleasant
    hey dude, sorry for taking so long to respond. MKV to M2TS is not a conversion process, it is a simple demultiplexing of the video and audio streams from the mkv file and putting them into an m2ts container. It usually takes no more than 10 minutes (for files as big as 15gigs). So if you can;t play an mkv, your best bet is to try to multiplex the video and audio streams into an m2ts container and then playing them on your ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeborg View Post
    with a direct transfer, you canīt because playstation 3 uses a Fat32 filesystem (a modified one) and this filesystem has a 4gb limit.

source: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ne...ony-92825.html
    ps3 file system is modified linux ?

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News