Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

If it didn't work with 1.5, then sure, there is always the chance they may decide to share it since the hole they've been using to run unsigned code would finally be plugged. At this point, we don't have any public confirmation on 1.5 though... so it's a waiting game at the moment.

I got Firmwire 1.32 right now and I want to put Linux on my PS3...

1) My understanding is that to install Linux, it will format everything on the PS3's harddrive. Is this correct?

2) I have all these awesome Demos on my PS3, is there anyway to back these up or redownload them without upgrading to 1.5? (assuming installing Linux will wipe the PS3 clean)

I kinda have the feeling Im screwed but just wanted to double check with all of you geniuses.

I just downloaded and installed the update. it seems to have made the playstation store work alot smoother and quicker. easier to get the cursor around thte screen. otherwise, not much seems to have changed.

I got the official word on the update from IGN.com

PS3 Updated to 1.50
    Backwards compatibility issues fixed in latest firmware update.
    by Jeff Haynes
    January 24, 2007 - PlayStation 3 owners have become accustomed to downloading firmware updates for their console, taking advantage of new features like full screen video playback or revised Network services. Earlier today, Sony released the latest update for the next-gen system. Version 1.50 features a number of improvements to the console, such as the ability to take a photo and turn it into your user icon. This should give you a lot more flexibility if you've gotten tired of the smiley faces or stick figures for the system.

Users can now choose to turn the key tone that you hear as you shuttle between options on and off, and you now have the ability to delete your backup data on your system. Another important setting that has now changed for wireless connections is the inclusion of WEP 128, WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA-PSK (AES) as additional security methods that can be used with AOSS. For people that want to enter Korean via the PS3's on-screen keyboard, version 1.50 now provides support for that language. Finally, the way that you can save your password and sign in automatically via the PlayStation Network has been changed, with two separate options for users.

Japanese PS3 owners now have the ability to purchase content for their PS3 via the EDY system. This gives owners the option to pay for items on the PlayStation Store with pre-paid electronic money cards via card readers attached to the system via USB cables. Information on EDY sites even hinted that future support might allow purchases of content via cell phone. A specific EDY viewer is installed onto the PS3 to update balances of your cards and alert you if the balance is running low. However, North American owners don't have access to this new feature at all.

By far, the most important upgrade thanks to version 1.50 is the inclusion of improved backwards compatibility. PS3 owners cried foul (and rightly so) when they booted up their systems with PS2 titles and ran into pixilated text, texture tearing and a host of other visual issues. Thankfully, version 1.50 repairs all of these flaws with your titles, so you can experience your older PS2 games the way they were meant to be played. While the PS3 still downscales from higher resolutions to 480p when it's playing a backwards compatible game, the difference in clarity is striking.

As an example, we put Final Fantasy XII in a PS2, a PS3 that hadn't been updated, and finally a system running version 1.50. Make sure you pay attention to the facial details and textures within these clips from system to system.

We'll have more on future firmware updates as they're released.

im dying to update too...lol just like you eddie666 but patience is a virtue good things come to those who wait! hehe

i got fw 1.32 i just wonder would i update it or not? any idea

Any New News Yet? sooo sad lol hoping for good news soon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345