When I bought my PS3 I replaced orginal 40GB with 120GB from my MAC
It works without problems
First - when I bought PS3 - I powered it up and try playing some games (GTA4 and Heavenly Sword)... when I know that it work I replaced orginal hdd with new one - when I powered it up again - PS3 formated the hardrive (from 120GB after formating now I have 111GB available space )
My suggestion is put the default hdd first, update your FW to 2.50 ,make a copy of the FW on a USB memory stick, switch off your PS3 remove all cables and swap with the new hdd. If you are "lucky" at first boot with your new hdd your PS3 may ask you for a FW (firmware) , if it does insert the USB mem stick and enjoy. Those steps recommended but not mandatory . Please share the brand and model of your new hdd just as a example if someone else want to swap his/hers.
Hard drive has been successfully installed. I did the following:
- Booted the PS3 for initial setup.
- Powered down and installed the new drive.
- Booted up. PS3 saw the drive, formatted the "system area".
- PS3 prompted for updated firmware.
- I inserted USB drive with firmware files.
- Installation completed, all is well.
Drive was a Seagate Momentus 320 gig, 7200 rpm. Working flawlessly so far.