Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] Netflix on PS3 without disc possible?

Sponsored Links
    Now that Netflix discs have been shipping for a few weeks, I've been looking for some soft of a way to copy the disc to flash drive or something similar, such that I can use Netflix without keeping the disc in the drive. I'm tired of swapping between my latest game and Netflix all the time.

Sony promises support in a later firmware, but when? It'll not likely make the 3.15 that's currently in development, and all we're getting is "some future update." I was, frankly, kind of mortified to get a realize that the disc that came in the mail wasn't installable, but rather had to stay in the system.
    Best Answer - Posted by PS3 News:

It will be this October finally, see here: http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...-october-2010/

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well, the disc is a stop-gap. Namely, it's just a BD-J disc. Back in the day, you could run BD-J code from USB etc, but if I recall, it has been blocked in later firmwares.

Sadly, its kind of at the whim of Sony. Hopefully the code will be done soon fast enough, and integrated right into the XMB, alas how long that could take is anyone's guess.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I get that -- but like I said, it'll be in a future firmware, as yet unannounced. Don't get me wrong, anything is better than nothing, but it's still annoying as heck. Just looking for a shorter term solution until Sony readies the firmware.

Registered User AzzzPirateBritt's Avatar

Lightbulb

Could you try going to the netflix site itself and streaming movies that way? I know it's a couple extra steps but that might solve having to swap discs.

I haven't yet got Netflix for my PS3 yet, so I'm not sure how the quality would differ between having the blu-ray disc and streaming from their site, as well as if there are any restrictions as to what movies you can stream via the site versus streaming using the disc.

How much is it a month?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kp13 View Post
    How much is it a month?
    Right now they have a free trial: [Register or Login to view links]
    Your free 2 week Netflix membership will begin when you click on "Start Membership" during the registration process. Simply cancel anytime during your 2 week free membership, and you will not be charged.

To cancel, click on "Your Account" and follow the simple cancellation instructions. If you are enjoying Netflix, do nothing and your membership will automatically continue at the monthly subscription rate for the plan you selected.

The FREE Trial offer is available to first time and certain former members of the Netflix service and cannot be combined with any other offer.

Its not much, we got like 3 movies at a time coming, plus the using the disc for streaming, its worth it now, until psn starts charging for the service, just a matter of time.

it will prolly be in the next major update they put out..

also using playon with your acount info for netflix entered works pretty well... tho not as pretty as running netflix with the disc.

what im wondering (& will be testing tonight) is what info is being exchanged from the disc/ps3, to the netflix servers... maybe just grabbing a XMl file or somthing.

maybe we can use ps3 proxy & have it load up a custom file... i will report back tonight if i have a chance to test.

Arrow

It will be this October finally, see here: http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...-october-2010/

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News