Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Need to split files for external USB HDD help?

Sponsored Links
    Hello,

I've been doing some searching on this but can't seem to find the exact answer. My fat PS3 is running Rogero 4.21 v1.09 and Multiman 4.10. I'm thinking about purchasing a l320gb 2.5 SATA HDD to stick in an external enclosure and use it to play games from since my PS3's internal 500gb drive is filling up.

I know I must convert the HDD to FAT32 in order for it to work, but do I need to have a file splitter as well? Or can I simply rip games to the external using Multiman and then play them with no issue?

I just want to make sure I understand and have everything in order before I purchase a HDD.

Thanks.
    Best Answer - Posted by PS3GAMER20111:

First of all you need to know following things:

1) A fat32 drive can support a file of size max upto 4gb of one file.

2) When you copy a game (which has 4gb+ file) from PS3 internal hdd to fat32 external drive using multiman it will automatically split that file into 1gb parts.no need to worry

3) You need a Big File Splitter when copying a game (which has 4gb+ file) from pc to external drive.just open the game through that splitter. it will split the big file into parts then just copy the game into external drive.

Best of luck

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    You can use any of these Windows programs to split the files: Open Split, Split4G or PS3spliter. For Multiman to recognize the split files, use the .666xx extension. Multiman will then cache the split files to the internal drive, or the game will not be playable. That kind of defeats the purpose of having the game on an external drive to begin with. I have all my games on an external drive, except for the ones with split files.

Sponsored Links

Cool

Sponsored Links
    First of all you need to know following things:

1) A fat32 drive can support a file of size max upto 4gb of one file.

2) When you copy a game (which has 4gb+ file) from PS3 internal hdd to fat32 external drive using multiman it will automatically split that file into 1gb parts.no need to worry

3) You need a [Register or Login to view links] when copying a game (which has 4gb+ file) from pc to external drive.just open the game through that splitter. it will split the big file into parts then just copy the game into external drive.

Best of luck
    Last edited by PS3GAMER20111; 11-09-2012 at 03:30 PM

What about ripping a game from disc straight to the external hdd? Will Multiman take care of that as well?

So copying a game to internal and then back to external will grant a game with no 4GB+ files? That sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
    What about ripping a game from disc straight to the external hdd? Will Multiman take care of that as well?
    I think so. But never tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by pandulce1 View Post
    So copying a game to internal and then back to external will grant a game with no 4GB+ files? That sounds interesting.
    it will convert that 4GB+ file into 1024MB parts. it will show that game with split files in multiman for example like: Tekken6(Split). When you launch it from external, multiman will copy the split files to PS3 internal hdd in order to merge them to play it (you need to use hermes payload for that).
    Last edited by PS3GAMER20111; 11-09-2012 at 03:53 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Oh, so it's the same as using Split4G since the files can not be used directly from external.
    Last edited by pandulce1; 11-09-2012 at 04:07 PM

multiman will copy the split files only, not the whole game.when using hermes payload.

I understand that, it's just that on some occasions the big file is basically the whole game.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News