Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Answered] Need advice about PS3 external hard drive

I would like to purchase an external hard drive for the PS3 (A 1TB hard drive) but I dont know which one to get.. both the western digital MyPassport 1Tb and the Seagate MYFlex 1TB external drive both come with software already embedded in the hard drive.. so I don't know if I should get either one.. Which one should I get.. if not those two, any other one that any here would recommend.. Thanks

The software isn't really as you say "embedded" in the harddrive, the harddrive comes with an installer for the software on it, you can remove it as easily as any other file if you want.

My two choices are this one: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=722

(but I notice with this one under specs that it says its already configured to NTFS so I dont think this will work)

And this one: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/portable-hard-drive

Not sure what this is configured with

Which is the better choice to go with..or if there is another one out there that might be better.. Thanks

You can format all external hdd's to FAT32, so doesn't matter if its configured for ntfs.

WD

I would go with the WD. I work at a large retailer and over the years the passport line has been really reliable.

with concern to the software and formatting of the drive don't worry about either. The backup software on the drive will not get used and you will be formatting the drive so no worries if it is ntfs (all drive these days are unless you buy a mac drive, and even that would work because you are going to reformat anyway).
    Last edited by dsman; 09-05-2010 at 06:39 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by dsman View Post
    I would go with the WD. I work at a large retailer and over the years the passport line has been really reliable.

with concern to the software and formatting of the drive don't worry about either. The backup software on the drive will not get used and you will be formatting the drive so no worries if it is ntfs (all drive these days are unless you buy a mac drive, and even that would work because you are going to reformat anyway).
    Oh Ok great. Thank you..so when I get the drive I will be formatting it to FAT 32 so the backup software that comes with it will be gone anyway..will I lose any drive space since I will be formatting it to FAT 32 or will it still stay at 1tb(give or take since I know it never comes with the full amount)

Well buddy if i were u i should go for WD its more reliable than seagate and after formating it should be around 931gb, also have a look at this site its the same hard drive for 144$ so u might save some bucks if ur buying it online.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5404084&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

western digital passport all the way. mine works great

Quote Originally Posted by sid4975 View Post
    western digital passport all the way. mine works great
    Yeah it looks like that will be the one I will buy. I was reading about spin-down issues..this particular drive does not have any spin-down issues right? What did you use to format your drive to FAT 32?

i got 1.5tb for 78 dollars at b&h in manhattan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast