Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my PS3 Dead?

Registered User crimsonsilhouet's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sounds like a serious problem man... Might wanna send it into Sony.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonsilhouet View Post
    Sounds like a serious problem man... Might wanna send it into Sony.
    Ya, I know, but I am not going to pay $150, for a repair. I'm scared of messing up with this heatsink replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by gb14929 View Post
    Youtube will be your friend here, these will show you how to strip down and replace the heat sync compound on the cpu/gpu. I have used the Artic MX-3 compound to use as a replacement of two ps3's so far with success....
    Hope this helps

gb14929
    All right... I decided to do it... I must be crazy. $50 for a repair is better than paying sony $150

Do I have to use an Artic MX-3 thermal compound? Can't I just use an ordinay $10 thermal compound?

Like this one? (ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=OCZFreezeInstructions)
    Last edited by devinbedari; 10-12-2009 at 07:03 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Exclamation Is my Ps3 Dead?

Sponsored Links
    My Ps3 Boot's normaly... loads... no yellow light's no flashy red ones... but has no picture! I've switched all the cables out and still no picture... WTF!! playstation say's it will cost me 150 to find out!! Any help?

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by shawpayne View Post
    My Ps3 Boot's normaly... loads... no yellow light's no flashy red ones... but has no picture! I've switched all the cables out and still no picture... WTF!! playstation say's it will cost me 150 to find out!! Any help?
    Try this. I got this info from a friend. I'm not sure what's wrong with your ps3... try it.
    Hold the power button on the ps3 for 5 seconds until you hear a beep. If this doesn't work, try a few times. It should work. This will also fix most display/video problems (i.e. no display/video). When turning on your PS3, be sure to hold the power button down. DO NOT LET GO! (If you turn it on, then repress the power button again for 5 sec. until you hear a beep IT WILL NOT WORK!)

hi

Hi my friend has the yellow light problem, what he did was melted off the solder connections from the gpu and re did the solder points again, when he came to turning it on it worked.

Those clips on youtube make the task look simpler than it is. Without having done this a few times, there is a lot that can go wrong.

That being said, If you go through with it and it doesnt work, or works and then fails once more, sony will still fix it. If a console is out of the one year warrenty, they do not care that you have personally modified it.

Of course, this still means that you will need to pay the repair fee. So, you dont really have anything to lose going the reflow route.

Quote Originally Posted by devinbedari View Post
    Try this. I got this info from a friend. I'm not sure what's wrong with your ps3... try it.
    Hold the power button on the ps3 for 5 seconds until you hear a beep. If this doesn't work, try a few times. It should work. This will also fix most display/video problems (i.e. no display/video). When turning on your PS3, be sure to hold the power button down. DO NOT LET GO! (If you turn it on, then repress the power button again for 5 sec. until you hear a beep IT WILL NOT WORK!)
    I've Tried that a few times already.. I hope it's not an hardware issue...

Yea, I have the 60gb US launch ps3. i got the YLOD around June. I gave it to a 3rd party place to fix it. It lasted around 4 months then got it again. Now when I gave it to them again for the YLOD, it got fixed but this time the fan was as loud as a jet plane. Then the week after it overheats and turns off. Now I gave it back for them to fix it again, now for an over heat problem.

Is my best bet to give it to Sony? or should I get a newer model and not the 60gb?

Quote Originally Posted by Perzian View Post
    Yea, I have the 60gb US launch ps3. i got the YLOD around June. I gave it to a 3rd party place to fix it. It lasted around 4 months then got it again. Now when I gave it to them again for the YLOD, it got fixed but this time the fan was as loud as a jet plane. Then the week after it overheats and turns off. Now I gave it back for them to fix it again, now for an over heat problem.

Is my best bet to give it to Sony? or should I get a newer model and not the 60gb?
    Do the YLOD repair by yourself anyway if you still have it. Otherwise give it to Sony. They should provide a warranty for a repair they made, otherwise if it works for a day after the repair, and dies again, it's their fault for not fixing it properly.

Is it just me, or are the 60gig ps3's (the ones with ps2 emulation) the ones that get the YLOD most frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by equivocator View Post
    That being said, If you go through with it and it doesnt work, or works and then fails once more, sony will still fix it. If a console is out of the one year warrenty, they do not care that you have personally modified it.
    Of course, this still means that you will need to pay the repair fee. So, you dont really have anything to lose going the reflow route.
    Thanks for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by shawpayne View Post
    I've Tried that a few times already.. I hope it's not an hardware issue...
    Could you ask them for a diagnosis before you give it to them? Or is the diagnosis not free?
    Last edited by devinbedari; 10-20-2009 at 04:52 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News