Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Is my PS3 60 gig console on its last legs help?

Sponsored Links
    I am not a heavy user anyway but bought it used from Ebay from a trusted game store with firmware 3.41 on it and one of the first things I did was take it apart though it looked brand new inside and clean the internals and put upgraded paste on.

Since I have got it I have only used it about 12 times in 8 months but I noticed a few times I went to turn it on and just got a black screen, everything worked like controller synced and the blu ray drive ejected and read just no picture, and when this happened just left it switched off for like a hour(more I think) then it magically worked.

Once or twice it didnt work but again just left it off for about 2 hours and it suddenly worked.

I then got GTAV on release and played it most days for a week for hours a day then didnt play it for 2 weeks a few missions before the end and when I went to turn it on same problem.

I left it off a hour or so a time and nothing so left it off overnight and it worked first time when I tried it in the morning and the couple of times I have turned it on to test since and doesnt show artifacts or anything and the fans are normal speed.
    Best Answer - Posted by racer0018:

Most likely it is a cracked solder ball under the gpu or a problem with one of the video outputs. I have fixed a number of these systems. Most of the time when it is the gpu the controller won't sync but on certain models the hdmi port is easy to break. What model of ps3 is it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Have you tried doing the display reset thingie? Not sure what the technical name for it is, but it usually involves holding down the power button for an extended period of time, and after the second beep, there's usually a prompt about the display mode. That's all that comes to mind for me.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Does the black screen happen on both HDMI and the audio and video component wire? Have you tried other firmware's?

What about videos settings try different settings. Clean the HDMI port with alcohol (with q-tips).
    Last edited by vtinoc; 11-26-2013 at 09:38 PM

1. is your warranty seal still intact ?
    2. you can try to check how many hours console was used by checking hdd how many hours was used that is if it's still genuine hdd from this console.
    3. try use safe mode when this is happening and check if getting signal , try other tv.

While the PS3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the On/Off button on the front of the system for at least 5 seconds until you hear a second beep. The Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display output settings of your TV/monitor).

this may help as well: [Register or Login to view links]
    Last edited by misiozol; 11-27-2013 at 08:27 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I forgot to say I tried the screen reset thing a few times and it did no good only leaving it off for a while seemed to help.

The warranty seal was intact when I got it but I took the cover off myself to clean the insides and put better paste on,

I have upgraded the firmware at least once since it first happened, havent tried other cables as my monitor supports hdmi or vga only, though I suppose I can take it into bedroom to test.

Most likely it is a cracked solder ball under the gpu or a problem with one of the video outputs. I have fixed a number of these systems. Most of the time when it is the gpu the controller won't sync but on certain models the hdmi port is easy to break. What model of ps3 is it. Thanks.

Sorry if this might look too simple, but I had these symptoms once. Turned out to be a defective hdmi cable that, depending on the position or whatever, sometimes worked and others didn't. Solved it by buying a new (and much cheaper!) HDMI cable off ebay

To sum it up, have you tried another HDMI cable, one that you are 100% sure isn't broken, even if you move it when devices are transmitting signal? Sometimes the problem is simpler than it seems...

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News