Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Movie ISO File Streaming/Mounting?

Sponsored Links
    Is it possible to steam/mount an iso movie file from a networked hard drive? Also in order to do this do I need a virtual drive for linux or any other software? I have yellow dog installed on my ps3 and planning of buying a WD my world 1TB HDD.

If anyone has tried this, reply about what you found. Thanks.
    Best Answer - Posted by CJPC:

Quote Originally Posted by milkman750 View Post
    Is it possible to steam/mount an iso movie file from a networked hard drive? Also in order to do this do I need a virtual drive for linux or any other software? I have yellow dog installed on my ps3 and planning of buying a WD my world 1TB HDD.

At least when it comes to linux - it is quite easy, you can mount your network share, then mount the ISO in a loopback device, and play it that way - or even pass the ISO directly to say mplayer or vlc.

The issue becomes, PS3 Linux is really not good for video playback, at all - so I would not expect amazing results.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links

At least when it comes to linux - it is quite easy, you can mount your network share, then mount the ISO in a loopback device, and play it that way - or even pass the ISO directly to say mplayer or vlc.

The issue becomes, PS3 Linux is really not good for video playback, at all - so I would not expect amazing results.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

Is the video playback just in the players or is it in the os itself? I will give it a try and if I dont like the quality I will use the round about way of using my laptop and connect it to the tv.

Is the video playback just in the players or is it in the os itself? I will give it a try and if I dont like the quality I will use the round about way of using my laptop and connect it to the tv.
    Well, playback really - if your running SD, you may not have too much of a problem, but HD is probably not a good choice. Especially since the only access to the RSX is very, very limited, depending on the video it may or may not be smooth - best bet is to give it a try really.

Or, use your laptop to set up some streaming right to the PS3 XMB - no need to hook your laptop up to the tv. Or, not sure on your storage device, but some support streaming video.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, playback really - if your running SD, you may not have too much of a problem, but HD is probably not a good choice. Especially since the only access to the RSX is very, very limited, depending on the video it may or may not be smooth - best bet is to give it a try really.

Or, use your laptop to set up some streaming right to the PS3 XMB - no need to hook your laptop up to the tv. Or, not sure on your storage device, but some support streaming video.
    Yeah, Ill be trying this over the weekend if I get time.

I have one one more question however. Since video steaming is supported by the storage device by DLNA, would i have to convert the file from the iso format to something else to play it in the XMB?

Yeah, Ill be trying this over the weekend if I get time.

I have one one more question however. Since video steaming is supported by the storage device by DLNA, would i have to convert the file from the iso format to something else to play it in the XMB?
    Not if you get PS3 Media Server it is capable of seeing and streaming iso images. If it does need to be transcoding it will do that on the fly too.

A simple google search will lead you to the download of the latest version. When you start it will see your ps3 if it is on. Will show up as a media server under video, just make sure you share the folder where the iso image is stored.

Quote Originally Posted by tvdbz431 View Post
    Not if you get PS3 Media Server it is capable of seeing and streaming iso images. If it does need to be transcoding it will do that on the fly too.

A simple google search will lead you to the download of the latest version. When you start it will see your ps3 if it is on. Will show up as a media server under video, just make sure you share the folder where the iso image is stored.
    I've installed PS3 Media Server on my computer however it cannot find the ps3. Ive tried to force the IP, turned off the firewall but still nothing. Does it work with windows 7? Is there anything else I should try?

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News