Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] modding the ps3 to play ps2 backups

Sponsored Links
    Okay guys i want your opinion, i have a brand new ps3 80gb version and I dont have a ps2 and i will really like to play some backups. Ive seen some tutorials on how to do this, but the pictures are so blurry and instructions seem to be written in a hurry. So heres my questions:

1.- Best tutorial to do this
    2.- How hard is it to open the ps3 from brand new?
    3.- Is it worth it?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Unless you have experience in such hardware modding stuff, you shouldn't do it...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoginthewok View Post
    Unless you have experience in such hardware modding stuff, you shouldn't do it...
    Well im good at soldering, i dont have experience modding and thats why im googling now for pictures that arent so blurry.

Anyone has done this to its ps3?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    There is a lengthy STICKY thread on this in the "PS3 Chat" section with pics, video, etc. Unless you're willing to gut your PS3 though, it's definitely not worth it when a used PS2 is probably under $50

the thing i dont understand is that the ps3 PAL version (60 gb) can't run ps2 games if you have firmware <2 if you have firmware 2> you can play ps2 games, so its maybe a firmware tweak and it also can be done on a ps3 40 gb.

Quote Originally Posted by killergg View Post
    the thing i dont understand is that the ps3 PAL version (60 gb) can't run ps2 games if you have firmware <2 if you have firmware 2> you can play ps2 games, so its maybe a firmware tweak and it also can be done on a ps3 40 gb.
    Can PS2 games be played at 40GB one..? i have seen most of the places that its not supported..

Quote Originally Posted by killergg View Post
    Every 60gb ps3 pal version play ps2 games the only problem is if your under 1.60 (if i am not mistaken) the compatbilty is very low and most games won't work but if you are above 1.60 most of Ps2 games work, and you can't play any ps2 game with the 40gb ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Well im good at soldering, i dont have experience modding and thats why im googling now for pictures that arent so blurry.

Anyone has done this to its ps3?
    I dont think you can solder these things all of them (most) are BGAs. It takes special tools to do that, not just ordinary soldering iron.

I have found some pictures for you, in good quality too: [Register or Login to view links]

as far as i can see, most of the wiring are differential serial lines (something like SATA, or PCIe)

Yea, 40gb can't play PS2 games unfortunately...

I was under the impression that they all could play ps2 games, but the 40 & 80gig's compatibility were lower than the 60gig model. So I'm guessing I should stay away from the 40gig model. Thanks for the heads up, because I was thinking of just getting the 40gig model two days ago.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News