Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Answered] Maybe we shouldn't upgrade to PS3 firmware 1.10?

Hi. Does anyone have information as to whether folks like Dark_Alex will be looking at getting various PSP Exploits to work on PS3 soon after launch? Clearly it is HEAVILY based on the PSP OS, and as a result could be prone to the same type of LIBTIFF and other exploits that have been used on PSP.

The point of the question:

Should I not upgrade from 1.00 firmware to 1.10 immediately if I do manage to get a PS3 on Friday? Part of me is afraid there will be a workable 1.00 exploit, and those of us that upgrade could regret it. I would be shocked if there isn't a hole in 1.0.

Something tells me that you will have to upgrade to play games but as the PSP scene has been going that is not the same. The Dashboard for the PS3 looks very similar to the PSP -+ a few features. Someone will find a way in.

I only wish I had the money to snag one. Now that I have waited so long and launch is just days away there's no way I'll get one until next year anyhow. I had to throw most of my money into a 360 since the "Fall Update" turned my console into a $400 doorstop. M$ Jerks...

I wish the scene all the luck as they will produce hacks for this system. There is not a game console on the planet that hasn't been opened to do more than it's suppose too.

I remember reading a quote from one of the xbox 360 firmware hacks..."When the PS3 comes out, we'll do it even quicker"

If you dont upgrade you wont be able to play the upcoming games. The PS3 OS is far from the PSP OS. The GUI is similar looking but under the surface they are completely different, its like comparing a Xbox 360 with XBMC with the 360 skin applied. It will probably take a looong time for the PS3 to be hacked, but hey.. never say never right..

It seems to me that Sony would be stupid not to be using their experience in firmware updates and software exploits from the PSP in securing the PS3. What better way to do that than by utilizing the same process for handling the firmware updates, and same code for viewing TIFFs, etc. As a software developer myself it would shock me if they are developing from two entirely different trees, or patching similar pieces of code in the PS3 firmware with fixes they've used on PSP.

That said, I am sure the trees are quite divergent now. With the huge number of extra features that the PS3 offers incorporated, it only seems more likely that holes exist in early firmwares for PS3 than in existing PSP code...

piggymouth: read up on the net about fixes for bricked 360s, they are out there.

I haven't upgraded my PS3 and Gundam: Crossfire works ( it works awsom, amazing btw ) so, maby i cant play new games that will come out, but im low an cash now anyway

Quote Originally Posted by erac3rx View Post
    piggymouth: read up on the net about fixes for bricked 360s, they are out there.
    I have been reading on many boards for the past couple days. The Fall Update is what nailed my system. I know M$ won't fix it so I went to EB and grabbed a new one. Now I have the MS28 sammy drive and I'm waitng on a card to come in on Friday. The whole thing has been one big nightmare. I don't even use live and I had no reason to sign on and update my system but I did and do I ever regret it.

I got the update early enough to the point where M$ released a fix after I just did mine. Had I waited I don't really know what the outcome might have been. I ran the "Fall Update" on Thursday night and after that the unit seemed to play fine. Then as the wekend got closer I was trying to play Gears on Saturday night and it kept locking up. My xbox has had very little play time. Most of the it just sits on the floor and looks pretty as I got one of the green/black xbox360 mod cases. When Sunday came around I can't even get into the dashboard. I checked the error code guide on google. Comes up with 0022 GPU Error. Makes sense to me since when it locks up I get white scrolling dots all over the screen and I can only play for about 5mins until it happens again.

I'm now $300 in the hole on my credit card but the good news is after talking to my local EB Games store manager they will over me $180 in store credit for my broken one. The unit has to be in good cosmetic shape and have all the serial numbers on it. So when I get my new MS28 drive up and going, and tested I'll be putting my old one back together and taking it back to EB.

I wont be getting a launch system but when I do get a PS3 I would just upgrade to a larger hard drive and wait for something like HDadvance for the PS3 which may be a few years down the line.

I just have this strange feeling that the ps3, on the oldest firmware, will be able to play ps3 games on a bluray disc. I can't really check it as I have only a ps3, and no BD-ROM burner but it seems quite plausible. The burner costs about 700-800$, and the discs cost a ridiculous $25 per single package. Sony's probably not particularly afraid of consumers burning games at this point cause its so damn expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sabeer99 View Post
    I just have this strange feeling that the ps3, on the oldest firmware, will be able to play ps3 games on a bluray disc. I can't really check it as I have only a ps3, and no BD-ROM burner but it seems quite plausible. The burner costs about 700-800$, and the discs cost a ridiculous $25 per single package. Sony's probably not particularly afraid of consumers burning games at this point cause its so damn expensive.
    Well Said...

Indeed, thare arent even enough games out for the PS3 to get any profit of buying a burner and burn tham all XD

Anyway, i did buy a new PSP for a FW3.00, now i ended up to change my mind and use my oldest PSP ( couse the new one was a virin 1.50 buyed this week ^^ ) so i'm still not shure if im gooing to upgrade.

I still didn't do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast