Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Loud PS3 fans help?

Sponsored Links
    I have an original launch day fat ps3. The fans spin very loud. Much louder than when it was new. There is plenty of dust on the grills around the unit so i know thats the reason but whats the easiest way to clean it? Dont wanna break it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    easiest way is to take it apart and use a small vaccum whilst holding the fans still so they don't spin. (if a fan spins it creates voltage like a dynamo. you dont really want that happening.)

i use a very small artists paintbrush to help with dislodging dust cloggs, and a small hoover to suck them up as they're loosened.
    Last edited by G Sus; 11-11-2012 at 09:51 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    disassemble the fan and clean it, then apply a WD40 solution (use the long spray nose so it will reach the mechanical part inside) to it so rust and dirt will go away as you manually spin the fan (take care on the blades though) once you make run smooth again, apply a motor oil in it to fix the loud noise that it you experience before.

After that, it should be quite as you bought it on launch day.

Arrow

There are these Clean PS3 with Fan Test videos also, although it was discussed and probably not something recommended to do too often.

How easy is it to take apart. I work on pcs all day so i think i will be ok doing it just really dont wanna screw it up. Is there a guide to taking it apart?

Banned User
    there is lots of guides , some have full video tutorials. some come with just pictures with screws marked etc. theres probably some here on ps3news. i cant seem to find them, but there is likely to be one here, try searching for ps3 phat disassebmle, or something similar

i've found a few guides on google, sorry i can't post the links the forums won't let you post external links.
    Last edited by G Sus; 11-11-2012 at 10:02 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lightbulb

You should be able to go to YouTube.com and find videos on it also... then use the following code (minus the spaces) to EMBED them here:
    Code:
    [ youtube ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoidhere[/ youtube ]
    As for guides from Google, as long as you include (copy and paste) the actual guide here it's fine to cite the source page URL where you found it. What we dislike is when people just spam the links and don't add any content in their posts.

Banned User
    here's a short tutorial on opening the phat ps3. its not mine, its just one i found hope it helps.

Cheers will take a look at this later. Thanks guys.

Since you have the 60GB model i really recommend to replace the thermal paste, removing the dust isn't going to stop the loud fan,you must remove the old thermal paste and replace it with a new one get Arctic silver 5 it will do the job and stop the loud fans

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News