Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] Install a Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid in PS3?

Sponsored Links
    Looking to get this to see if it will help improve game internal transfers and/or loading times Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    A lot of people have tried to install a SSD, and it works. But it isn't really faster than using the normal drive.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeah I was going to purchase but decided against it. I didn't think the transfer speeds will be noticible enough between an SSD and good HDD.

Speeds from an SSD are negligible, I wouldn't waste your money.

Thanks guys, but I would like to clarify this is a "hybrid" hd meaning 500gb 7200rpm with added ssd memory on board which helps bring the cost down too. So for about $100 I think I'm gonna give it a shot to see if it works any better. I'll report back in a few days after I get it and test it out. I was just curious to see if anyone got this specific model and saw any improvement.

ssd hybrid or not are mainly used in pc's to boost os load times and operations and are not going to give a performance boost in loading games from it. if the game had to read/write to the hd constantly then yes you would see a big difference but as a game loads to memory and doesn't access the hd in the same manner (i.e pagefile sys and read/write multiple files to multiple locations at the same time) so unless you just have a bill to blow then i would save your money for a new tv or surround sound, something you will see a definite difference in gameplay on

Take a look at this statistic and you will recognize, that a SSD is wasting money.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

hddorssdx9s4.png  
    Last edited by oVERSoLDiER; 11-02-2010 at 06:28 PM

I have tried a 120GB OCZ SSD. (excellent writing times compared to earlier SSD generations, little improved reading times) For some games the seeking time is most important. SSD wins. For reading sustainable amount of data SSD wins by 4x.

Unfortunately it seems the weakest join of the chain is the main CPU of the PS3. Since the PS3 isn't used as a portable the 3rd most important feature of the SSD (shaking resistance) isn't really improving the PS3 experience.

I would (and have) use the SSD in my laptop and add a network harddisk for mass storage of music and video

OK, Got the new Seagate XT.. Testing now.

Quote Originally Posted by RMnTnA View Post
    OK, Got the new Seagate XT.. Testing now.
    I think that you did a great deal. I saw some videos on YouTube and the difference between the HDD and the SSD is really impressive.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News