Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This should solve your problem:

Put into PS3, format drive.
    Do back up of this drive without initializing (raw uncompressed)
    Initialize drive
    Do back up again (raw uncompressed)
    Compared changes in HEX editor
    Restore the ORIGINAL backup with all your information on it.
    Place the unchanged changes onto the drive via HEX editor (don't forget to write the changes back to the drive)
    Place drive back into PS3, restore databases via recovery menu.
    Viola... I hope

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sounds promising. Could you please specify on which device you mean when you say backup/initialize, or rather, are you saying on the PS3 or PC? Maybe I'm not getting this right...

1) Put the drive that I initialized with all the info on it into the PS3 and allow it to format without cloning the drive first or anything like that. Or do you mean a new drive all together just to find the differences in relation to the following steps?
    2) Put that drive back into Windows and then without initializing it, clone it (though that's what I originally wanted to try but the drive just wouldn't appear in any program till I did so - don't remember 100% with certainty though).
    3) Initialize the drive on Windows.
    4) Clone it again to a different drive/partition.
    5) Compare changes between the two partitions/drives that were cloned to.
    6) When you say "restore" here, that makes sense for a program that did a backup like you were saying but as you can see from the way I understood what you were trying to say above, that confuses me as to where I need to restore, how, why, etc...
    7) And I'm just lost from here...
    8) So I was supposed to be using the backup option on the PS3? I'm confused how these steps fit together XD

Sorry for being a hassle. Thanks a lot though, this is sounding like it would work.
    Last edited by Typhoon859; 10-27-2010 at 09:39 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So have the original backup on your computer? (post initialize) So no matter what changes we make to the drive we can just restore that image.

0) Because of what you said in step 3, do another image of the drive with a HEX editor, I recommend FlexHEX, it will let you open and save the drive as "Physical Drive"
    1) Since we have a backup of the drive go ahead and format it in the PS3 (if you got time to waste FULL format in the PC to get all 00's that way the changes are more noticeable by the human eye as well, but that's not necessary)
    2) Put that drive back into Windows and then without initializing it, clone it (though that's what I originally wanted to try but the drive just wouldn't appear in any program till I did so - don't remember 100% with certainty though). Yep, this is crucial since we need to know what exactly Windows is about to change.
    3) Initialize the drive on Windows.
    4) Just save it as a file, doesn't matter if its on another partition or not when its a file.
    5) Compare changes between the two partitions/drives that were cloned to.
    6) The very first backup, step 0, restore this back to the PS3 drive.
    7) Once its restored, look at the file comparison (between the second and third backups) (not the 0), any changes should basically be in the first 1MB, only write the changes from the second backup into the 0 backup that was restored onto the drive.

And every should work.

Sounds like a very solid way of doing this. I think I got it; I'll do it carefully and thoroughly when I get the chance (might not be soon) and I'll post back. Thanks a lot! I couldn't think of something like this because I didn't and still don't exactly know how all this information is stored on an HDD fully so I couldn't visualize what changes and where they'd be when I did something like that. Thanks again!

And Typhoon859, this will not be a quick fix, this will take hours. The actual labor part will take minutes, but the backups and automated comparison will take for ever.

Backup 0 is a backup of the drive in file form prior to PS3 format
    Backup 1 is a backup of the drive post PS3 format, without PC intializing
    Backup 2 is a backup of the drive immediately following Backup 1, but this time the drive is initialized.

Backup 0 will be written back to the drive
    Changes will be made to the drive reflecting data from Backup 1 (data that has been changed between Backup 1 and Backup 2)

The drive will then be placed into the PS3 where instead of booting the system you will launch the recovery menu (hold power button till system turns on then off, hold power button again till system turns on - then beeps - then beeps twice and release) and do restore databases.

If it prompts you to format the drive after the system attempts to restore the databases...well we gave it a good shot, and anything more would be a little extravagant for some gamer data.
    Last edited by hacked2123; 10-28-2010 at 03:54 AM Reason: Easy for mod detection

So what'll take long is the program running the comparison for differences? I mean, that's not a big deal. I don't exactly have to be there while that's going on. But thanks for the warning. I think I got it. I might really only run into questions/something I maybe didn't understand when I actual start going through the process so hopefully if anything, you'll be around then, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
    So what'll take long is the program running the comparison for differences? I mean, that's not a big deal. I don't exactly have to be there while that's going on. But thanks for the warning. I think I got it. I might really only run into questions/something I maybe didn't understand when I actual start going through the process so hopefully if anything, you'll be around then, lol.
    The drive backups take a while too. You can just use the hex editor too backup the first 100MB of the drive each time if you are comfortable doing so, this will make the process WAY faster.

You can always email me, I get those instantly on my phone.

Lol, cool. Thanks.

I'm sure this'll help a lot of people.

i just made this same mistake initialized the ps3 harddisk in win7... and i am wondering if hacked2123 and typhoon859's idea of comparing HEX data works? thanks

oh, and i would like to know any windows software is recommended for doing the cloning process?? i am not familiar with linux and dd. so i wonder any sector by sector software like EASEUS partition master/ghost/acronics works?

thank you again guys~
    Last edited by k19li; 01-06-2011 at 05:43 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Not to kick a dead horse, but I came upon this thread via google cause of my happy fingers when I initialized my PS3's drive during a failed attempt to clone it via Acronis to a bigger drive since I do not have the media to back it up.

Anyway, after being semi-lazy, using FlexHEX and doing some manual comparison between a fresh PS3 drive (I did a fresh format with 3.66), I found if you copy bytes 00000000 thru 00F03000, I was able to get my formerly unusable stock 160gb drive to boot again like a champ.

Thanks Typhoon859

Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News