Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    There are 2 tools you can use linked HERE to do it, however, they are "Dev" tools and so are not very "end-user friendly."

Basically they are only intended for those who can understand how to use them... which probably doesn't apply to 95% (myself included) of the people here.
    Thanks! Well, it's something... So I don't waste time, the thing I really need to know for sure is, which files do I need to recover and copy to my new HDD to get my save files back? Even if I manage to properly use it, I wouldn't know what to recover. Thanks again

PS- If I manage to somehow do it, I'll post how/the steps. If someone has done it though, I'm sure somewhere someone posted a guide. Maybe I'll find it.
    Last edited by Typhoon859; 03-11-2010 at 04:07 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    There are 2 tools you can use linked HERE to do it, however, they are "Dev" tools and so are not very "end-user friendly."

Basically they are only intended for those who can understand how to use them... which probably doesn't apply to 95% (myself included) of the people here.
    Those tools are for decrypting the PS3 HDD correct? When they say decrypting the hdd what is exactly being decrypted?

Wouldn't all the gamedata and what not still have a raw compression?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterrr View Post
    Those tools are for decrypting the PS3 HDD correct? When they say decrypting the hdd what is exactly being decrypted?

Wouldn't all the gamedata and what not still have a raw compression?
    It decrypts the HDD layer of encryption - ironically quite a few of the files are still encrypted yet again via other means. Of course, some of the files can be used with the same system (ie, test editing them, swapping them out, etc)...

If you're sure that only the boot records are screwed, and you didn't do anything weird with partitioning (ie: having linux on there), then I would try making a full sector based backup of your drive *right now*, then formatting the drive on the PS3 to ensure the boot records are re-initialised.

Then I'd take the drive out, and use a tool such as 'dd' (or an equivalent, if you're more at home with GUI-based stuff) to copy everything from the full-sector backup you made of the PS3 drive - *apart from the boot record area*. I'm not sure how many sectors that covers (1 sector of 512 bytes? I can't remember for sure).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Pie View Post
    If you're sure that only the boot records are screwed, and you didn't do anything weird with partitioning (ie: having linux on there), then I would try making a full sector based backup of your drive *right now*, then formatting the drive on the PS3 to ensure the boot records are re-initialised.

Then I'd take the drive out, and use a tool such as 'dd' (or an equivalent, if you're more at home with GUI-based stuff) to copy everything from the full-sector backup you made of the PS3 drive - *apart from the boot record area*. I'm not sure how many sectors that covers (1 sector of 512 bytes? I can't remember for sure).

Good luck!
    Mixing like that could very likely lead to problems even if possible to get it working initially - something might happen at some point later, already after the data has been further mixed up. That's too risky for me but sounds good in theory XD

Anyway, the HDD is not currently in my possession so I will only be able to try any of this in a few weeks when I'm back home. I felt that was necessary to mention so that it'd be known that I can't give too much direct feedback. I'll get back to this then. Hopefully you guys will still be here to help me if something shall arise. Thanks for now
    Last edited by Typhoon859; 03-12-2010 at 10:28 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Pie View Post

I have exactly the same problem, and tried the method you suggested, used HDClone to clone the hard drive sector by sector, then I put it back in PS3 and let it format so that it could boot again, Then I put it back in PC and used HDClone again to copy it sector by sector (except sector 1) back onto the hard drive.

However, the PS3 still refused it and wanted to format again. It seems that I just need to find the right sectors to keep on the hard drive - any ideas on how to find out which sectors contain the boot information after a fresh PS3 format?

Nope, but I can say that the only secure way to do a backup of a PS3 hdd is for sure the linux command "dd" in a format like root#dd if=/dev/sd(x) of=/(yourdiskspace)/(yourfolder)/myps3image.whateveryouwant

..this is only an hint, not an explaination, check better the above mentioned linux command for further details, the reason is this command can make a 1:1 phisicl image of the data regardless to format and content of the disk...

Just learn enough about the command "dd", attach your hdd to a SATA2USB, plug it into a PC, fire up a linuxlive distro, open a terminal and you're ready to do the a secure backup that, obviously, can be restored only on the same hdd or another one identical...

Windows is a lot user friendly in many occurencies but's a lot crap in many other things..

Hi guys, i'm new here and having done much research on the internet after having done the same thing with my 60gb ps3 hdd after installing a 320gb one in my PS3 to try and copy my files. If I'd have had internet at the time I wouldn't have tried it but hey we all learn from our mistakes.

Any way I was wondering if someone could shed light on an idea I had after reading about the encryption hack. Basically i'm sure the data is still on the 60gb drive but nothing will read it properly due to the encryption, I'm also certain the MBR has proberbly gone/overwritten when I asked windows to activate the drive.

So I was thinking with a hex editor it should be possible to take the 320gb out of my PS3 decrpyt it find the mbr and then "copy" it to the 60gb so my PS3 wont ask me to format it when i put it back in and then have access to the files and wont tell me it's the wrong hdd when I say no to the formatting??

Sorry for the length of this post but I've been searching for a long time hitting so many brick walls, to finally see some light has lifted me a little.

Thanks

That makes sense. Sounds like it SHOULD work but I think we've discussed this and there were problems in doing so. Maybe the resurgence of this idea might spark some other people's thoughts, hopefully...

I had the same thought. The problem is without knowing the complete location list of what to edit it would be next to impossible.
    I am sure there may be some adept code-monkeys here that can enlighten us as to which locations to edit and what values to use but only SONY will know for certain.

I was under the impression that one of these PS3 HDD management programs would allow us to do just that but am having trouble finding info on how the recent updates affected them.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News