Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] Infectus, eFuses and PS3 firmware update questions?

Sponsored Links
    Hey all. I just got my first PS3. It is an 80gb model with the memory card slots. Best of all it was free and repaired by sony for free :win:

Ok, so I'm quite the pro with an infectus with the wii and the 360.... but I have no freaking clue about the PS3. I know it can be used with earlier models that had the dual nand chips, but what about the ones with the single 128mb flash chip.

Do firmware updates blow eFuses?

Basically, what I want to do is make a nand backup while my PS3 is still at firmware 3.15 and update to 3.41 so I can use the jailbreak, but I want to be able to revert back to 3.15 if possible by reflashing my nand backup. The only thing holding that back from happening is if eFuses get blown or not.

I have never seen concrete evidence of eFuses and I know with the PS3's with the dual nand setup that you could downgrade the firmware...but only up to a point.

Can anyone please fill me in with more info? I am desperately trying to keep myself from updating to 3.41 just so I can keep my linux install, but no one knows for sure if jailbreak will ever get ported to 3.15 or if linux will ever be totally possible on 3.41, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

I've got a lot that I can contribute with testing in this community so I really want to start playing with it now....but I will be heart broken if I update my ps3 to 3.41 to find out 2 days later someone ports the jailbreak code to 3.15 and no on ever re-enables other OS on 3.41

So this is why I want to know if the infectus may save me.

I have also read something about someone was only able to read 16mb of the nand...but even with just that 16mb and the rest of the nand zeroed out, that you could start up the PS3 and it would ask for a pup file and rebuild the rest of the nand.

Someone please give me some direction. Can I backup the nand and then revert...or should I wait for a port to 3.15, or should I just say "screw it" and hope that other OS will eventually be available for 3.41?? Please give me your best advice. Thank you all so very much.
    Best Answer - Posted by CJPC:

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFoez View Post
    Ok, so no one knows for sure exactly what is happening in the background. It seems like this is rather untouched waters. So instead of voiding my warranty I'm gonna just leave these things alone until someone else figures it out. Chances are it can't be done otherwise there would probably be plenty of people already doing it.

I know it was possible to downgrade before with 1.xx firmware as long as someone did not upgrade past a certain point.
    Exactly, it was only pre-2.10 or so that you could, after that, the system keeps track of the firmware version.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If it was me i would update to 3.41 for JB, then wait till otherOS has been re-enabled. There is already some folks working on re-enabling otherOS. I'm not saying this is what you should do, only stating its what i would do in your situation.

http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-jai...theros-on-ps3/

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The last infectus firmwares before they seemed to just disappear removed support for the PS3 nands and also removed the ability to downgrade to one that did. So, my infectus is basically junk for PS3 stuff. And never used too...

You might want to catch up on the thread I started as there was a lot of useful info posted there:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ha...us-110540.html

yes, the official infectus software is garbage... I don't use it anyways. I use xavbox for my wii hacking and 360 hacking... but I can program my own software if needed for this special purpose.

Someone please reply about the eFuses... since that is the most important part about this.

yes, the official infectus software is garbage... I don't use it anyways. I use xavbox for my wii hacking and 360 hacking... but I can program my own software if needed for this special purpose.

Someone please reply about the eFuses... since that is the most important part about this.
    Well, the best working theory is that the PS3 does keep track of the firmware version - most likely inside the system controller.

If you had an Infectus backup of an earlier flash, I think it'd be interesting to try using the USB Firmware Loader to try loading it. I admit though, I have no experience with Infectus, so I have no idea if the backups can even be used.

Ok, so no one knows for sure exactly what is happening in the background. It seems like this is rather untouched waters. So instead of voiding my warranty I'm gonna just leave these things alone until someone else figures it out. Chances are it can't be done otherwise there would probably be plenty of people already doing it.

I know it was possible to downgrade before with 1.xx firmware as long as someone did not upgrade past a certain point.

I tried to read my 3.15 firmware with Infectus 2, but it didn't even recognize the PS3 NAND chip(s)...

Exactly, it was only pre-2.10 or so that you could, after that, the system keeps track of the firmware version.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News