Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Idea to get PS2 emu working on all consoles?

Sponsored Links
    Hi. Me again with another theory for those to ponder and such.

Now I'm guessing everyone has seen the ps1emu and ps2emu in the dev_flash areas on the PS3. We can't write to these areas as yet. Had a quick look and saw that the ps1emu has the file ps1_rom.bin. I'm guessing this file is used to run the PS1 games. The ps1_rom.bin reminds me of the days running emulators for various past consoles ie Sega, Nintendo; and the joy of hunting down the rom.bin to actually boot the emulator.

So cutting to the chase - later consoles lost the ability to run PS2 games. There is no ps2_rom.bin on those consoles. Does this file exist on consoles that can run PS2 games?

That's not my main question, as at the moment, we can't write to the flash areas. But got me thinking. The files ps2_emu.self [and 2 others which are present] are self files. When looking at the guts of it, shows the good o' ELF. I tried the unfself command with the SDK but it failed.

Can these files be run within the dev_hdd0 area. So basically building an EBOOT.BIN (which is an ELF files from the looks of it) and making an app that runs from the game section and is able to boot PS2 games. Or does this not boot the Game OS section?

I'm taking a stab at the dark here, but guessing that the FTP app was made from tools contained in the SDK as I thought; I remember seeing some 'ftpd' mentioned there. Hence why I ask if it's possible.

I'd love to learn how to build the app myself, so on another topic, would learning C++ be good enough to learn to program apps for the PS3.

Thanks
    Best Answer - Posted by General Plot:

Close, but not quite. Launch models included both the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer (GS) of a PS2 in them. The later model that used software emulation only emulated the EE, but still had the GS hardware installed in them. This is why the PS3 can only upscale PS2 game resolutions instead of rendering them in true HD. The GS was built to only put out an SD signal, so the PS3 takes that SD signal and postprocesses it with upscaling.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Again - good and quite "logical" idea in principle - however - you need to keep in mind that PS3 has lost a part of the HW with newer models needed to actually play PS2 titles as well so this would most probably wouldn't work anyway.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks GrandpaHomer. Yeah I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. I had a feeling that the Emotion engine was original HW (for the first JAP consoles) and then software based for the later models (that first came out in US and even AUS), but wasn't quiet sure.

Well afaik Early US (ntsc/uc) & JAP(ntsc/j) 20gb & 60gb models have hw emotion engine while Europian 60gb (Pal) and later 80gb including mgs4 bundle (ntsc/uc, ntsc/j) models have software emulations.

Btw Whoasome idea buddy.

Close, but not quite. Launch models included both the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer (GS) of a PS2 in them. The later model that used software emulation only emulated the EE, but still had the GS hardware installed in them. This is why the PS3 can only upscale PS2 game resolutions instead of rendering them in true HD. The GS was built to only put out an SD signal, so the PS3 takes that SD signal and postprocesses it with upscaling.

Umm. Ok so silly question then. If the later consoles emulated the EE, but still had the GS hardware, then why doesn't the console still allow PS2. Or does the newer models lose both the EE and GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Field View Post
    Umm. Ok so silly question then. If the later consoles emulated the EE, but still had the GS hardware, then why doesn't the console still allow PS2. Or does the newer models lose both the EE and GS.
    Yes - that's the case sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Field
    That's pretty much it. No models since have included the GS (which is actually the hardest part of the PS2 to emulate, as me and the PCSX2 team have found).

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News