Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] How to tell if PS3 laser needs replacing or is dirty?

Sponsored Links
    My ps3 reads and plays games but after 8-40 minutes the game freezes if I press the eject button the game resumes as normal but then kicks me back to the xmb and the game is ejected. If i put the game back in it reads it but as soon as i get to the games title screen it freezes then once again I have to press the eject button.

I already restored the file system, the database and even switched hdd's but to no avail. From what I've read online it seems to point to a problem with the laser, so my question is how would I be able to tell if the laser lens is just dirty or if it needs replacing?

Has anyone had the same problem or similar? If you, have how did you fix it? Any help is appreciated Thanks!
    Best Answer - Posted by HeyManHRU:

I've taken apart my BD drive before, I had to watch several videos to put it back together. It's a very hard procedure, if you're really desperate though I would give it a shot.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Could be an issue with the laser. There are tons of videos on youtube showing the process of cleaning them.

Is your PS3 running a CFW?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Cleaning the lens ASAP is a good idea

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-cf...tml#post366482

My PS3 is 60gb b/c and it's on ofw 3.70 it's never been jailbroken. I ordered a blu-ray lens cleaner of amazon it just got here so I'll give it a go
    hope it helps. I figured I would try this first before it came to opening the PS3 up. Thanks to for the link joffe if this cleaner fails that will have
    to be my next option.

Exclamation

Be warned that it's insanely annoying putting a PS3's BD drive back together. When you do put it back together it has to be set in an exact way otherwise it will not work. That's right, even if you put it back together perfectly piece by piece if the parts aren't set in a certain way it will not work. For this reason I have never taken apart my main PS3's BD drive, it's just too annoying. Look up youtube videos regarding how to set it before you do anything.

Thanks for the warning I been reading up on taking the BD drive apart to clean the lens and what you're telling me is what exactly I've been reading about for the past couple of hours. I don't think I'm up to it. I'm currently backing up my PS3 going to reformat the hdd to see if it helps, and if it doesn't I won't have a choice but to open it up.

I've taken apart my BD drive before, I had to watch several videos to put it back together. It's a very hard procedure, if you're really desperate though I would give it a shot.

I opened up my PS3 and cleaned the lens but I still have the same problem. So do you guys think its my laser that's going bad?

Well I think it's best you buy a new laser to replace the one you have, but I'm not really knowledgeable on PS3 BD drives.

So I would wait and see what some other members might have to say regarding your issue.

I have opened more than a couple BR drives, pick up a laser and go at it slow and have a couple shot glasses (work great) to hold the screws. not that there are many diff lengths but diff threads. just keep every thing in a neat area and you can switch it with ease. If you do run into a issue, STOP and either ask here, search the issue, or PM me and i can walk you through it if need be.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News