Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] How do I fix DLNA Error 2104 help?

Sponsored Links
    I have the following setup: TP-Link MR3420 wireless 3G Router
    Synology DS411j NAS connected to the router via cable
    FAT PS3 wirelessly connected to the router (to access the internet and the NAS)

The Synology NAS has a built-in media server and the PS3 picks it up as a media server with no hassles via the wireless router. I am getting a DLNA 2104 error. I can still browse through the NAS' folders and watch photos/pics, listen to music and watch videos (photos, music and video are on the sever in seperate dedicated folders).

First of all, should I be worried about this (the message in red is kinda disturbing)? If "YES", then how do I fix this?
    Best Answer - Posted by OGroteKoning:

Quote Originally Posted by severusx View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say that the blame is with either Sony or the NAS, it's just a compatibility issue.
    I totally agree. I have read though that other NAS systems from Synology had similar issues and was sorted out.

I'm not suggesting that you rewire anything, just use the PC as a "bridge" DLNA server instead of having the PS3 communicate directly with the NAS. It's not the most ideal setup, but it is better than having errors all the time.

Setup a persistent mapped network drive on your PC, and use either Windows Media Player or PS3 Media Server to share the media with your PS3. That way all your networking stays the way it is, but you don't have to rely on the dodgy compatibility of DLNA between your NAS and the PS3.
    I will take this into consideration as a last resort - thank you. My intention was to be PC/Laptop free (except for setup of course). I like the system to be simple (like me ... hehehe). A person must just be able to switch on the PS3 and either play games, go online, watch a movie, play music or watch pics/photos (or whatever else the PS3 can do). I have decided to play around with the firewalls. I will not touch the firewalls on the router's side, but will see if I can adjust the firewall on the NAS. This worked for a guy with an older model Synology NAS.

UPDATE: WHOOHOOoooo ... I got it to work!!

The problem was the firewall on the NAS (seems like everything has a firewall these days). It turns out this NAS is much more advanced than I realized. As suggested, I changed a firewall setting in the NAS only. I enabled the DLNA/UPnP media server ports. What I don't understand, is why it did stream before the ports were enabled.

If the firewall is there to prevent the opening of ports prior to enabling it, I should not have been able to see anything on the PS3. But, at least my frustration is over. Thanks saviour07 and severusx for your posts. You guided me in the right direction.

The only draw-back of my wireless system is that the 1080 HD MTS videos do have an unacceptable level of lagging. This can be overcomed by either installing an ethernet cable or copying the movies to the PS3 and then playing directly from the PS3 and then delete it after watching it to preserve HDD space. I would probably gather some courage and get into the roof to do the cabling ... but not in the very near future.

PS: I can recommend this setup!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Found an old thread on the official PS3 forums about this here: [Register or Login to view links]

Appears to either be your firewall or a couple settings on your PC/Router which need configuring.

Give that a read, see if any of the solutions work for you and post back to let us know how you get on

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I got me a CAT5 cable long enough to reach the PS3. Connected it between the TP-Link router and the PS3. Did a "new" wired connection (as opposed to the wirelees route) under Network Settings and the streaming has improved significantly!! No more lagging with the 1080 HD MTS videos. But that is not what this thread is all about.

I also changed the setting on the router to 802.11bg mixed. I don't see the DLNA 2104 error anymore, but I have just "won" two other DNLA errors - 2102 and 2108. And with that I also get error 80710437 (which I am not worried about for now - if I can solve the DNLA issues, I thinks this will be solved as well).

So to try and not get these errors, I changed the router to 802.11g only and I still get the DNLA 2102 error.

There are suggestions on the web to disable a the firewall, but this easily exposes your system to attacks. So this is not an option I want to explore.

I also checked UPnP on the router and it is enabled.

I don't understand the ports stuff, so I am not fiddling with that yet.
    Last edited by OGroteKoning; 09-12-2011 at 12:18 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A firewall has nothing to do with this problem. Your PS3 and NAS both sit on the inside of your LAN, the only firewalls you have are the one running in Windows, and the one on your router between your LAN and the internet. Chances are that the DLNA server that your NAS runs isn't completely compatible with the DLNA implementation on the PS3. I used to run PS3 Media Server on my home server and occasionally got those errors too.

Try this: Instead of connecting directly to your NAS with the PS3, turn on file sharing in Windows (assuming you use 7) and connect your PC to the NAS. Build a library with Windows Media Player and share it with your network. You can also try out PS3 Media Server. If either of those options works then you know the error is in your NAS.

Also, wired>wireless, especially G wireless for streaming media.

I have never had these issues before when I streamed from PC (XP) with PS3 Media Server over ethernet. I don't want the clutter of cables and a dedicated PC running just to stream. So I got a decent NAS and decent wireless router for the job. I accept there is a bit of a communication problem in my current setup. severusx, do you have suggestions for settings I can try on the NAS?

Also, it is quite interesting that most of these errors are associated with the PS3 so alot of people blames $ony and the PS3. I don't agree with that. I would rather want to try and get a solution with the setup I have. Thanks for the replies so far.

Well, I wouldn't say that the blame is with either Sony or the NAS, it's just a compatibility issue.

I'm not suggesting that you rewire anything, just use the PC as a "bridge" DLNA server instead of having the PS3 communicate directly with the NAS. It's not the most ideal setup, but it is better than having errors all the time.

Setup a persistent mapped network drive on your PC, and use either Windows Media Player or PS3 Media Server to share the media with your PS3. That way all your networking stays the way it is, but you don't have to rely on the dodgy compatibility of DLNA between your NAS and the PS3.

I totally agree. I have read though that other NAS systems from Synology had similar issues and was sorted out.

I will take this into consideration as a last resort - thank you. My intention was to be PC/Laptop free (except for setup of course). I like the system to be simple (like me ... hehehe). A person must just be able to switch on the PS3 and either play games, go online, watch a movie, play music or watch pics/photos (or whatever else the PS3 can do). I have decided to play around with the firewalls. I will not touch the firewalls on the router's side, but will see if I can adjust the firewall on the NAS. This worked for a guy with an older model Synology NAS.

UPDATE: WHOOHOOoooo ... I got it to work!!

The problem was the firewall on the NAS (seems like everything has a firewall these days). It turns out this NAS is much more advanced than I realized. As suggested, I changed a firewall setting in the NAS only. I enabled the DLNA/UPnP media server ports. What I don't understand, is why it did stream before the ports were enabled.

If the firewall is there to prevent the opening of ports prior to enabling it, I should not have been able to see anything on the PS3. But, at least my frustration is over. Thanks saviour07 and severusx for your posts. You guided me in the right direction.

The only draw-back of my wireless system is that the 1080 HD MTS videos do have an unacceptable level of lagging. This can be overcomed by either installing an ethernet cable or copying the movies to the PS3 and then playing directly from the PS3 and then delete it after watching it to preserve HDD space. I would probably gather some courage and get into the roof to do the cabling ... but not in the very near future.

PS: I can recommend this setup!!
    Last edited by OGroteKoning; 09-13-2011 at 02:36 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Simple is good, and issues with PS3 Media Server is why I ultimately ended up building a dedicated Media Center PC, so I get where you are coming from.

Your router's firewall is of no consequence, as LAN traffic does not travel through it. Same story with your PC. If the NAS device does have a firewall (I can't imagine why it would, but I am only familiar with enterprise class NAS/SAN devices, not consumer grade ones) then it is possibly the problem. Since it is not connected directly to the internet or an unprotected network, I would just turn off the NAS firewall entirely. It serves no purpose other than to annoy you.

I would just turn off the NAS firewall entirely. It serves no purpose other than to annoy you.
    #gulp# ... I am a little too paranoid to do that yet severusx. I think I must learn more about firewalls and specifically my NAS's before I am going to be so bold.

Well, think of it like this: Internet -> Your Router (with Firewall) -> Your LAN

Your PC, NAS, PS3, and all other devices are already behind the firewall on your router, so there is really no need for additional protection behind that. All a firewall does (in basic form) is drop incoming traffic that was not originally requested by a device behind it (before another networking expert tries to bust my balls about this I know that I am describing the function of NAT with this too but that's not important here). Since your router shields your entire LAN from the internet, there is no need for individual firewalls on your devices unless you need to protect them from each other. You can safely turn them off and save the hassle (and slight hit to performance) they cause.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News