Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] How can I stay networked but block firmware updates?

Sponsored Links
    I use my PS3 as a media player so it needs to stay connected to my network. In light of the new jailbreak, I'm also concerned that Sony might force a firmware update and not prompt us first, as the new TOS agreement allows.

Is there a way to block all firmware updates through DNS trickery or something like that? I don't necessarily care about the Playstation Network or online play. I would still like to get game updates.

I set up a DNS proxy with a firmware fetch redirect to my local web server to stay on 3.15 until Sony fixed that. On 3.15 though, I noticed with the proxy I couldn't connect to the PlayStation Network. However, now when I use the proxy with 3.41 I still connect just fine to the Playstation Network. This makes me wonder if Sony has changed the firmware check mechanics since 3.15

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Best Answer - Posted by EiKii:

Hiya Base123,

maybe this will help you http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-gu...ge-110344.html uncertain about the game updates tho,

exactly what do you mean with this? as i understand it you are using the proxy on fw 3.41 ? as far as iam concerned FW 3.41 is still the latest, but maybe i dont understand you?

"I set up a DNS proxy with a firmware fetch redirect to my local web server to stay on 3.15 until Sony fixed that. On 3.15 though, I noticed with the proxy I couldn't connect to the PlayStation Network. However, now when I use the proxy with 3.41 I still connect just fine to the Playstation Network. This makes me wonder if Sony has changed the firmware check mechanics since 3.15"

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hiya Base123,

maybe this will help you http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-gu...ge-110344.html uncertain about the game updates tho,

exactly what do you mean with this? as i understand it you are using the proxy on fw 3.41 ? as far as iam concerned FW 3.41 is still the latest, but maybe i dont understand you?

"I set up a DNS proxy with a firmware fetch redirect to my local web server to stay on 3.15 until Sony fixed that. On 3.15 though, I noticed with the proxy I couldn't connect to the PlayStation Network. However, now when I use the proxy with 3.41 I still connect just fine to the Playstation Network. This makes me wonder if Sony has changed the firmware check mechanics since 3.15"

Sponsored Links

re

Sponsored Links
    in system settings theres a Automatic download seting thats for patches system updates ect if this is set to off then i dont think it will force updates

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jd200 View Post
    in system settings theres a Automatic download seting thats for patches system updates ect if this is set to off then i dont think it will force updates
    won't the ps3 prompt you when you are starting a game and has internet connection? as it want you to update to latest?

I saw that guide. Putting in a bogus DNS server IP address would probably work, but at that point I wouldn't be able to get game updates.

Basically my concern is that if my PS3 is connected to the net and Sony decides to do something drastic because of the jailbreak, like forcing an unprompted firmware update, my PS3 would get updated.

I am using the proxy with 3.41. I Just can't tell if my PS3 realizes it. In 3.15 I could tell my proxy was working because I couldn't connect to the PlayStation Network. But in 3.41 I can connect to the Playstation Network with the proxy active. This is what makes me wonder if with 3.41, firmware checks and so on are happening outside of my local DNS redirection for *.update.playstation.net, therefore leaving me vulnerable to firmware updates.

@eikii
    not necessarilly, because the new TOS state that the ps3 can automatically update with out prompt or consent, so if a ps3 is internet capable and FW >3.30 then it can auto update to the latest FW... in theory, as no-one has reported this happening yet.

@OP
    why are you using a proxy to connect to the psn if you are already on the latest fw?
    and afaik there is no way to block fw updates other than to not be connected to the network.

re

Quote Originally Posted by EiKii View Post
    won't the ps3 prompt you when you are starting a game and has internet connection? as it want you to update to latest?
    yes that probably still do that but don't think theres a new online firm bypass.

aha you meant like that, IMO can sony force a firmware update?legally that is, i mean there should be some kind of agreement i believe? or am i wrong?

are theese update file obtainable on the web somewhere`? like i.e downloading on pc and install on usb, never seen anything like that but then i havent looked for it either, just a suggestion i have no idea,

is it really necessary with game updates since you not playing online?

I should probably give up on game updates. But here's the relevant text about forced firmware updates from the 3.41 firmware TOS (emphasis mine):

From time to time, SCE may provide updates, upgrades or services to your PS3 system to ensure it is functioning properly in accordance with SCE guidelines or provide you with new offerings. Some services may be provided automatically without notice when you are online, and others may be available to you through SCE's online network or authorized channels.

Without limitation, services may include the provision of the latest update or download of new release that may include security patches, new technology or revised settings and features which may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content, or use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with the PS3 system.
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    @OP
    why are you using a proxy to connect to the psn if you are already on the latest fw?
    and afaik there is no way to block fw updates other than to not be connected to the network.
    I'm on 3.41 and that is the latest. I'm using my proxy to try and block the next firmware update. But now I realize why I can still connect to the Playstation Network with my proxy active, because I'm on the latest firmware so I'm passing whatever check it makes....
    Last edited by Base123; 09-03-2010 at 06:16 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ah yea now i remember the crap sony made us end user to agree to, it sucks and imo plain wrong to have "secret" update/fix.

i don't have any other good suggestion but to either get one more ps3 and have to use with psn, or to simply keep your current offline, tho alternative 1 is rather ungainly and expensive since you said you aren't caring very much about online function,

don't really have any knowledge about proxy server for ps3 since i never used them sorry
    Last edited by EiKii; 09-03-2010 at 06:41 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News