Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] PS3 repair help?

Sponsored Links
    First, how simple is it to change a blu ray drive round? I have a spare fully working one so do I have to remarry it as they say or just change the boards on bottom round? both are from 60 gig ps3.

Secondly another one I got was working fine but the fans were maxing out within a minute of turning on so took it apart, put new good thermal paste on and when put back together the eject/standby button on front isnt getting power.

Tried with 2 other boards I had spare and 2 other spare cables that attached the board to mobo and still nothing, also tried a spare psu for the same type and you can hear the slight crackle at back of pc when cable is inserted or you press the switch so I dont know if its a ground issue.
    Best Answer - Posted by mushy409:

Both GPU & RSX need reflowing. I've seen this time and time again, console works until opened up. When you take the board out, it flexes and stresses the BGA connections. If they are already weakened from prolonged 'heat-soaking' and lack of ventilation, the actual lead balls used to solder the ICs become brittle & oxidised - eventually leading to YLOD.

60Gb boards - I'm guessing yours is either an SEM-001 or COK-002 - both used in the 60Gb PS3 (phatty) are prone to not only YLOD, but the main culprit is the Southbridge chipset (controls the audio/video output from GPU etc).

If you look carefully at the RSX & GPU on your board... at each corner of the chip you'll see (or SHOULD see) a solder connection right on the very corner. I use these to judge if whether or not to reflow the chip, as these 'corner tags' are the first to be ripped off by the PCB flexing.

Check them out, they're also on the southbridge chip (I'll try and find some pics to explain...)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Just change the boards on the bottom of the drives. As for the other one, it sounds like you put it back together wrong or something. Take it apart and put it back extra carefully with tutorial.

It might be as simple as the ribbon cable from motherboard to the on/eject controller is not connected properly.
    Last edited by Natepig; 01-31-2012 at 06:51 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for that, I will also ask whilst I am here if its worth it to upgrade the firmware as its on 3.62 right now (the working one) if I plan on downgrading again as soon as I can afford a E3 flasher i.e is it any harder to downgrade.

It is safe to upgrade to 4.00 ofw as e3 flasher can downgrade from 4.00ofw, and as far as i know its no harder than downgrading from 3.62

Yeah you should be fine, the downgrade process is no different on 4.00 firmware than it is on 3.60 firmware.

How can I repair PS3 drive arms help?

Disc got jammed in one I was testing so had to take it apart but curiosity got the better of me and I lifted the track up and popped one off and the cogs came off with it, not broken but cant find a guide to fix it.

Then I tried a blu ray drive I had spare but the track didnt work on that one so had to take that one apart and ended up doing the same.

So I need to know how to get the tracks and cogs back on.

post a pic of what your trying to put back and i'll see if i can point ya in the right direction

It's not so difficult. Just make sure the spring is on the right place. iFixit and Youtube has more then enough how'-to's on repairing your drive. Also what drive is it? Slim? Or Phat?

If you post a picture I will tear apart one that matches your drive and tell could tell you more. I have never pulled mine apart.

I will get a pic up soon, the parts I mean is when you push a disc into the drive gently theres a mechanism that moves up tracks inside on both sides and one of those parts has come off.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News