Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] Homebrew Development Questions

Sponsored Links
    Hi all,

I've just setup the PS3 SDK, and created a few sample apps which has led me to a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

1.) The SDK documentation repeatedly mentions Visual Studio integration, I have VS2008 and would love to integrate the SDK. Is there a guide in the manual that I have missed or online somewhere. Would anyone be willing to write one?

2.) My current development process goes like this: Write code, make, make elf, setup png/SFO, make package, FTP to USB drive, install package, test.

That is one hell of a lot of steps each time I want to test the app, are you guys shortening it in anyway? Is it really necessary to make a package everytime, why can't you just overwrite the EBOOT.BIN?

3.) Is it necessary to run packages from an external usb everytime, is there not some folder on the internal hd I can write to instead so I can disconnect my usb?

4.) Debugging - how?

5.) Right now I am using the sample framework which works fine, but it seems excessive for the basic apps I am writing atm. Does anyone have a minimalist .cpp/.h which writes text to the screen, and detects pad input?

Sorry for all the questions, pretty eagar to learn and start contributing.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    BlackB0x's FTP v1.1 let's you view the USB device connected to the PS3. So if you use the FTP program to transfer your file to the USB stick, it saves you the trouble of connecting and disconnecting your USB device for each test.

As for the other things, I have no clue as I haven't messed with the SDK.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the response. That's what I have been doing, transferring to dev_usb, I would prefer to be able to disconnect and turn off the USB drive. It seems like its just a matter of specifying an additional directory to scan for packages. Unless I am mistaken and running from the USB controller is instrumental to the exploit.

This would probably require some type of modified payload to patch that function to scan the internal HDD for packages. I would love to be able to use packages without having to put it on a usb drive also, but so far I haven't seen a way to do this.

Noone able to help me with any of the other questions?

I'm not an expert at all, it's just what I know, I can be wrong

1.) The SDK documentation repeatedly mentions Visual Studio integration, I have VS2008 and would love to integrate the SDK. Is there a guide in the manual that I have missed or online somewhere. Would anyone be willing to write one?

A. You need a program called "ProDG". It has not been leaked yet

2.) My current development process goes like this: Write code, make, make elf, setup png/SFO, make package, FTP to USB drive, install package, test.

That is one hell of a lot of steps each time I want to test the app, are you guys shortening it in anyway? Is it really necessary to make a package everytime, why can't you just overwrite the EBOOT.BIN?

A. You can use AerialX PSGroove Payload to boot pkg / eboot.bin without installing them, it get a little faster I guess. I do exactly what you do.

3.) Is it necessary to run packages from an external usb everytime, is there not some folder on the internal hd I can write to instead so I can disconnect my usb?

A. For now, yes. But I'm sure we will find ways to make everything easier.

4.) Debugging - how?

A. I don't know, not on retail. Maybe using "ProDG".

5.) Right now I am using the sample framework which works fine, but it seems excessive for the basic apps I am writing atm. Does anyone have a minimalist .cpp/.h which writes text to the screen, and detects pad input?

A. Take a look on the BB Game Engine, it comes with PS3 Pong v0.15.

Thanks for the replies febag. I will be sure to check out the alternate payload which lets you run eboot files, sounds very handy.

I have already been through the PS3 pong source, and found which sample it is taken from in the documentation.

Only issue is that it still compiles to >10 megs, which makes me think it is using libraries that are unneccesarry (at least for my current needs). If you look at the backup manager / ftp server they are < 1 meg. Would love to see the source for either of those.

I have heard ProDG mentioned before, what exactly is it? Which route are you taking to build basic gui 2d apps, am I right in thinking PSGL is the best route?
    Last edited by Exergy; 09-28-2010 at 05:52 PM

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News