Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Angry [Answered] Help please with PS3 YLOD?

Sponsored Links
    Hi all,

I got a Ps3 from dad 3 weeks ago as its just sitting under his tv playing blueray movies every few months max for the past 3.5 years.

I Was playing games and all was good for first week then wanted to play some MK9 (no Aussie Release) so researched and found Kmeaw firmware and was able to play all good. Then 3 days later my drive would not read anymore so i decided since i had ripped most of my games to backup i would buy a cobra to emulate drive.

The cobra works fine and i was able to play for another 4 days until last night when i got 3 BEEPS and my PS3 died. YLOD.

I have a few repairers that will fix for $75-$150 with up to 3 month warranty or sony said they will repair replace with a referbished model for $150. so know i don't know what to do so can anyone help me out with the following:

A: My wife thinks this is my fault for CFWing the ps3... can CFW create YLOD & screw BR drive or is this coincidence.
    B: Will sony still fix with CFW or will they not be able to tell as they will see YLOD and just write it off
    C: Since blueray is also dead will sony fix that & YLOD with same service fee?
    D: What firmware would sony send me on the refurbished model?

I attacked my Xbox a few times with success till i hit it for the 4th time with the heat gun and screwed it so i am more likely to have the ps3 repaired by someone else this time. Sorry about the long winded post but Who can sell me a console that i can run 24hrs a day 7days a week if i choose... it should not be that hard.

Cheers Everyone
    Best Answer - Posted by Neo Cyrus:

The finger is usually pointed at the CPU (Cell) and GPU (RSX) as far as YLoDs go but the handful of PS3s I've repaired had overheating issues due to only the RSX. Problems with any number of parts can cause a YLoD but it seems 9/10 it's the RSX. The cooling for it is simply inadequate for it to last years... the 90nm ones at least.

If you simply toss your PS3's motherboard into an oven or fix it directly with a heatgun it's going to most likely go YLoD on you again. Use rosin flux on the parts before heating up the mobo. Look up anything you don't know or understand, there are thorough guides out there.

Overall you don't need much:

- Tools to take apart the PS3
    - Cleaning agent (plain isopropyl alcohol will work but Arctic's cleaning compound works 10x better)
    - Thermal compound (AS5 can be found at any computer shop)
    - Rosin flux
    - An oven or heat gun
    - Common sense

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    cfw do not have anything to do with ylod.. it's caused by overheating

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    A: No, like jamesnesc709 mentioned YLOD is an issue regarding your PS3 hardware, whilst CFW is just a software update, so they got nothing got to do with each other.

For B, C and D: Sony don't give you back the same PS3 you previously had, they usually give you the same model but a new console, so if you really wanted to keep CFW I would suggest you get it fixed by someone who is not sony

thank you for that comment. he should had did more research about this problem.

Well it's good people ask questions like these, so other people who search for similar problems on google (or any other search engine) will find this site.

Cheers everyone so far...

Question A was more to reasure my partner... I knew it was not the CFW but my Xbox 360 went RLOD a few days afer i flashed its Drive for Mortal Kombat 9 Play also... Guess i'm just playing MK9 too much and for too long lol.

Back to the main Questions B,C D and now mabee a few more

-has anyone recieved a referbished playstation and if so what firmware did they receive
    -has anyone in the Sydney/Newcastle area had any luck with any third party companies (no names if they are not allowed) just want to know if its worth it to go 3rd party or just cough up more dough to Sony

Thanks again for everyones opinion

ylod is a solder joint issue under the cpu and rsx thanks doug

I have never sent my PS3 to sony, but I would assume they update the PS3 to the latest firmware, from what I've read on some sites they apparently do. So it's better safe than sorry.

I live in Melbourne so I don't really know anything about PS3 repairs in Sydney. But I do know some decent places here in Melbourne.

My advice is to not spend a single penny repairing a fat ps3. As hard as it can be its better to let them go in my opinion. You should sell it as faulty and put the money towards a new or second hand slim.

Red Face

Fix it yourself!!

It's already busted, so you cant make it any worse!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News