Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The finger is usually pointed at the CPU (Cell) and GPU (RSX) as far as YLoDs go but the handful of PS3s I've repaired had overheating issues due to only the RSX. Problems with any number of parts can cause a YLoD but it seems 9/10 it's the RSX. The cooling for it is simply inadequate for it to last years... the 90nm ones at least.

If you simply toss your PS3's motherboard into an oven or fix it directly with a heatgun it's going to most likely go YLoD on you again. Use rosin flux on the parts before heating up the mobo. Look up anything you don't know or understand, there are thorough guides out there.

Overall you don't need much:

- Tools to take apart the PS3
    - Cleaning agent (plain isopropyl alcohol will work but Arctic's cleaning compound works 10x better)
    - Thermal compound (AS5 can be found at any computer shop)
    - Rosin flux
    - An oven or heat gun
    - Common sense
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 09-20-2011 at 05:27 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by natepig View Post
    My advice is to not spend a single penny repairing a fat ps3. As hard as it can be its better to let them go in my opinion. You should sell it as faulty and put the money towards a new or second hand slim.
    I agree. Unless you can fix it properly, and by that I mean with a BGA repair station and not a heat gun or oven, put that fat-boy on the 'bay and buy another one that is not YLOD'd.

Frying your motherboard with something that is designed to remove paint or bake biscuits is either going to make matters worse or only provide a temporary fix.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It's indeed only a temporary fix, but properly following a guide and using flux makes it last quite a while. My secondary PS3 which I repaired has been on for many hours in-game and it's still fine. The problem is the accursed 90nm RSX in most of the Fat models, only the very last ones used a 60nm one. Both my PS3s have a 60nm Cell but a 90nm RSX.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i only would trade if it doesn't have ps2 support like the a01 model b01 and e01 i won't trade it in for a slim model.

I would repair the PS3, sell it, and buy a brand new slim.

very true but not what i named a01 model b01 and e01

Well I got lovely modded PS2 right next to my PS3, so I'm not really in need of a PS3 that plays PS2 games.

very true i forgot about that lol. see i don't have a ps2 i have my wonderful a01 near me

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News