[Answered] help installing 1tb ps3 hdd?

I have been trying to install a WD scorpio blue internal hdd to my slim ps3 for a while. I got it in there physically fine. When I turn on the ps3... it does not automatically start formatting.

When it asks for me to hit start and select after connecting storage media that contains update version 4.20 or later.. I get data is corrupted (8002f2c5) I know I have it on my usb flash drive correctly and have tried several different sites including Sony's for the pup file.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

set your HDD to SATA1 mode. WD Hard Drives had a pin assignment for that

do you know of any articles I can go to find out how to do this. I've never messed with jumper settings and could use some help.

usually. pin shorting 5-6 is the jumper for SATA1 protocol. but with this new SATA3 HDD, they are not meant to be compatible with PS3 since there no way you can set SATA 1 protocol.

wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1400#jumper

but be note to all HDD buyers that if you plan to use it to your PS3, make sure that HDD supports SATA1 pin negotiation setting and not by auto-negotiation since PS3 had bad compatibility from any HDD with auto negotiation.

format it on your pc first to fat 32 then put it in your slim

You don't mention the exact info for the 1T WD HDD you're dealing with. Does it happen to be this exact item?: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4166869

If it is then there is something wrong with your particular HDD, because it is supposed to work just like any other PS3 compatible HDD. If you have a different model WD HDD then I'd return it & buy this one for $89.99 with free S&H.

I had my eye on it a couple months ago when I needed to replace my 40GB. I got something else because this one was $130 at that time. Wish I had the spare cash to buy this one while it's price is so low.